Superimposing

Ask any questions about compositing.
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Superimposing

Postby acsharp » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:37 am

Is it possible when inserting a person onto a background to make it look as though they are really there and not been superimposed? e.g. making someone have a little grass around them when laying on grass. I want to make it look real. I know it is possible in Photoshop, but I don't want to use Photoshop.

Site Admin

Re: Superimposing

Postby admin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:54 am

Making stuff look really real when compositing depends a lot on the circumstances. If you tried to do it using the compositing tool, then posted your results here, I could give some tips as to what things you might do to make it look better.

Tony

Postby acsharp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:40 am

Hi Tony, I will post a couple later today.

Postby acsharp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Example
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (379.47 KiB) Viewed 10314 times

Postby Arwin » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:07 pm

I would suggest to add some shadow to the child (Select Area tool, Subject and choose for Drop Shadow Grey)
Try out some relight effects. This will blend the child more in the surroundings..

Lot of it depends on your own creativity, skills and taste.

I've tried also my latest effect Selection creator - radial gradient on your image, because it will give a radial gradient around the child in which you can add an effect to, still a lot depends on your own taste and your personal preference of the creative outcome.

Hope this will help you a bit, looking forward to any suggestions Tony or any other one may have.

Arwin
Check my Instagram if you have time, dedicated to my edits done in Smart Photo Editor!
Feel free to follow ;)

Postby acsharp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:30 pm

Thank you, I will do as you suggested.

Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:11 am

I think Arwin is right, getting this image right is mostly to do with the lighting, the cutting out seems to be very good. I think the main thing might be that the light in the forest tends to be mottled, a little darker and a fraction greener (from the light going through and reflecting on the leaves). You can do all that in SPE, but only with a manual edit of the composite in the effect editor, which I don't know if you've tried yet. I think most of these could be done by preparing a mottled picture, with bright and dark patches, which is slightly green in the bright patches (I've attached an example). You can then add the image in the image editor and use a merge node with a multiply merge type to alter your overlayed objects before they are placed in the scene. You can then play with the opacity to tweak the result.

Tony
Attachments
mottled2.jpg
mottled2.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 10304 times

Return to Compositing And Montage