Adding Color to Monochrome Image

If you want to discuss individual effects, post here. Eventually the discussion of effects will be linked to the effects themselves.
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Adding Color to Monochrome Image

Postby gorflex » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:04 pm

What are the steps on converting a color image to monochrome and adding color to specific parts of the image? For example, I have an image that has yellow and red tulips. I want the entire image to be in black and white with the exception of the red tulips.

Site Admin

Re: Adding Color to Monochrome Image

Postby darrenp » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:57 am

Hi Gorflex,

The following should do what you want:

1. Click on 'Select Area'.
2. Use the area tools to select the parts of the image that you want to remain *untouched*.
3. Once you have selected your red tulips, click on 'invert selection'. This will then select everything BUT the red tulips.
4. Click on 'Confirm Selection and Browse Effects.
5. Select a black & white effect that works for you from the 'Color' submenu in the gallery.

Do let me know if you have any problems with this. Hope this helps. :-)

:Darren.

Postby gorflex » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:34 am

Your steps work just fine. Thanks, Darren!

How do I go back and add more to my image if I removed too much? I really do like this program but wished there was a Users Guide.

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:55 am

If you hover over the black and white icon of your selection in the tabs at the top of the program, then click, you will be able to edit your selection. There are "Add To Selection" and "Erase From Selection" brushes that allow you to include more or less colour.

Tony

Postby sexydivinediva » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Where is the select area located? How do I get started after I upload the picture. I do not know how to use the area tools please help me please...I did not see the confirm selection and browse effects... I am so lost, didnt see the color submenu in the gallery, please help please me find these things i am so lost

Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:28 am

Select Area is the second button down in the list of tools on the right, once you've selected an area with the mouse the confirm button appears. The color menu in the gallery is with the list of different gallery choices on the left.

Tony

Return to Effects