New neon silhouette figures effects and more..

If you want to discuss individual effects, post here. Eventually the discussion of effects will be linked to the effects themselves.
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

New neon silhouette figures effects and more..

Postby Arwin » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:42 pm

I finished my latest effects and in this topic I will explain the idea how to use them.

The beginning..
I came up with the idea of these effects when AndrewB2012 published his Ab silhouette figures effects which are great in the first place and brought a whole new dimension to SPE in my humble opinion.

My idea was to transform his silhouette figures to neon figures like you would see at a bar or on buildings.
When working on such effect I discovered some more possibilities which worked well and I thought they would fit in a arty like image creation.
Eventually I ended up with 5 types of the same effect, namely:

-Silhouette figures backlight
-Silhouette figures neon 01
-Silhouette figures neon 02
-Silhouette figures outline
-Silhouette figures pipe frame

I created them in 7 different colors, like a preset, ready to use! (not every color worked well for the effect, this is why I choose 7 different colors to choose from)

At this point I saw a slightly problem, if I would create the effect for every silhouette effect Andrew has created, I would end up with 58*5*7=2030 new effects from his Ab silhouette figures only!..
So I thought to do it different, which ask a bit more from you but makes the effects even ready to use for every new silhouette effect Andrew or anyone else would made (Like the Tree silhouettes series one from AndrewB2012) or even your own local silhouette image.

Finally I created the effects also for selections and text, so there are 3 subs for the effects:

-Silhouette figures
-Text
-Selections (Subject)

You can find the silhouette effects by name, like: Silhouette figures backlight or Silhouette figures neon etc..
Also they are categorized in colors, like: Red, Green, White etc..

For the text effects, search for: Text backlight, Text neon 01, Text neon 02, Text outline or Text pipe frame.
Also categorized in colors, like: Red, Green, White etc..

For the selections, use the Select Area tool, choose for Subject, make a selection, apply the selection and search for: Backlight, Neon 01, Neon 02, Outline or Pipe frame.

How to use my silhouette figures effects with other silhouette effects:
Just add one of my new silhouette effects, like the Silhouette figures backlight 06 effect, make a temporary mask (Just click Ok, Mask Area it's handy for later use if you need a mask..)
Add an another silhouette effect you like to use, in this example: Ab silhouette figures 010.
Rightclick the Silhouette figures backlight 06 effect-tab and choose Manual Edit and click on the Effect Input node.
Rightclick the Silhouette figures backlight 06 effect-tab and choose Merge with Ab silhouette figures 010.
Replace the Load Internet Image node with the one from Ab silhouette figures 010 and delete the Merge node and at the end of the node-chain reconnect the last node to the Effect Output node.

Now you have combined my silhouette backlight effect with the Ab silhouette figures 010 from andrewb2012.
You can use the temporary mask you created before to mask the silhouette, to fit them nicely into the background.

How to use my silhouette figures effects with other silhouette effects example video
https://vimeo.com/108500083

How to use my silhouette figures effects with your own local silhouette image:
Just add one of my new silhouette effects, like the Silhouette figures backlight 06 effect, make a temporary mask (Just click Ok, Mask Area it's handy for later use if you need a mask..)
Rightclick the Silhouette figures backlight 06 effect-tab and choose Manual Edit and click on Add Image to add your own local silhouette image.
Delete the Load internet image node and connect your local silhouette image to the Place And Merge node.

Now you have combined my silhouette backlight effect with the Ab silhouette figures 010 from andrewb2012.
You can use the temporary mask you created before to mask the silhouette, to fit them nicely into the background.

How to use my silhouette figures effects with your own local silhouette image example video
https://vimeo.com/108480043

How to add an another text in my text effects:
Just add one of my new text effects, like the Text neon 02 05, make a temporary mask (Just click Ok, Mask Area it's handy for later use if you need a mask..)
Use the SPE Text tool to add your own text and style.
Manual edit the Text neon 02 05 effect, click on the Effect Input node.
Rightclick the Text neon 02 05 effect-tab and choose Merge with Text.
Replace the existing Text node with the new Text node.

How to add an another text in my text effects example video
https://vimeo.com/108480045

Get more out of Arwins silhouette effects I
https://vimeo.com/108501071

Get more out of Arwins silhouette effects II
https://vimeo.com/108480054

Some examples image of what you can do with it, can be found here and here.

Hope they will be a nice addition to you when working with SPE :)

Have Fun!
Arwin
Last edited by Arwin on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check my Instagram if you have time, dedicated to my edits done in Smart Photo Editor!
Feel free to follow ;)

Re: New neon silhouette figures effects and more..

Postby eadams » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:45 pm

Hi Arwin,

Wow, you went to a lot of trouble to provide these effects and explain how to use them. I love the idea of being able to apply the effects to any text or shape and just had to try it out on a font I purchased today (Lion by Atlantic Fonts). I tried one of the backlight effects.

These effects will be very useful . Thank you for all your hard work!

Eve

Text backlight by Arwin.jpg
Text backlight by Arwin.jpg (33.49 KiB) Viewed 4832 times

Re: New neon silhouette figures effects and more..

Postby Arwin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:34 am

Hi Eve,

Thank you for your nice comment! :)
Glad you like the idea and very cool to see the Text backlight 05 effect on the font type you're using, makes all the time and struggle worth it! :D

Arwin
Check my Instagram if you have time, dedicated to my edits done in Smart Photo Editor!
Feel free to follow ;)

Return to Effects