centering a photo

If you want to discuss individual effects, post here. Eventually the discussion of effects will be linked to the effects themselves.
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

centering a photo

Postby pasknucklehead » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:30 am

Hi everyone,,,very first post, just downloaded the smart photo editor...It looks like a really cool program...I do "water drop photography" and am taking some of my older photos and trying to spruce them up a little to make them more interesting...I think this program is going to help me do just that...Here is my question...I have a "refraction drop" for my photo, I used one of the filter effects, can't remember exactly what it was called, but it was made up of simply flat water drops, which I thought my rose bud would look really cool with that effect....I will attach the photo so you all can see what I am talking about. My question is , is there a way to center my photo, or does this effect just fall where it does? As you can see by the attachment, the bud isn't quite in the plain opening where there are no drops,,which, I think it is how I am going to keep it, but for future reference just wondered if you can do centering...Sorry for the long drawn out question...Look forward to this site...

Wow, just previewed my image...surely did something wrong...what size is a MiB? I guess I never heard of that...I resized using photoshop to 1542x1024 but I'm not thinking that is going to work either...Could someone steer me in the right direction and give me the pixel dimensions,,,that I understand... :D
Darlene
Attachments
DSC_1908.jpg
DSC_1908.jpg (380.94 KiB) Viewed 3393 times

Re: centering a photo

Postby eadams » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Hi Pasknucklehead,

SPE is indeed a really cool program, and if you stick with it (learning the ins and outs) you'll work wonders with your images.

Regarding the size of the image you posted: when you upload a photo the dimensions are expressed in KiB. I had to look it up on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibibyte) to learn what that was, since I was used to seeing image sizes expressed in KB. As I understand it, KiB was introduced as a standard measure to designate 1024 bytes. Commonly the kilobyte (KB) is used to designate 1024 bytes, but "kilo" means "thousand", so semantically speaking, a KB should designate only 1000 bytes.

Anyway, you can always preview your post (including the uploaded image) before you submit the post. If the image is too big you can delete it, reduce the size and upload it again. If I'm not worried about details showing, I usually make the width of the images I post around 600 pixels. That way I have no problem viewing the image on my tablet. For some reason, some larger images won't scroll correctly on my tablet, so I can only see the left side of the image.

Regarding your main question about "centering a photo". The effect you used looks like "Water droplets - out of focus". When you apply that effect to your own image you essentially merge the image below with your image in overlay mode. When you do that, the dimensions of the below image are altered to fit your image and it is centered on your image. However, as you can see, the droplet-free space in the effect's droplet image is not in the center. I don't know of any satisfactory way to modify the effect using that exact droplet image. I tried a place and merge node that let me stretch the droplet image past the border of the original image (thus centering the empty space), however this action distorted the droplets. A workaround might be to crop your rosebud image before applying the effect so that the rosebud is in the correct position. Alternatively, you could create your own effect using an edited droplet image of your own. There are many tutorials in these forums that explain how to create your own effects or modify existing ones.

Eve

Droplets.JPG
Droplets.JPG (114.84 KiB) Viewed 3384 times

Re: centering a photo

Postby pasknucklehead » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:11 pm

Well Thank you Eve for replying to my question....I will do just that, and like you, I didn't have a clue what MiB was. So I will do like you suggested and just keep resizing it til I get it right...Thanks for the suggestions of the drops of water...I mainly do "water-drop photography" so I'm sure in my piles of digital files, I can find some things to use as my own backdrops on this program...It does seem like a pretty cool program and will help me out a lot...thanks again for replying to me...
Darlene

Return to Effects