Searching for Effects

If you want to discuss individual effects, post here. Eventually the discussion of effects will be linked to the effects themselves.
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Searching for Effects

Postby Richard Briggs » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:32 am

I don't understand the 'search for effects' capability. I'm not sure whether it searches on tags associated with effects or the names. Or both. Or neither. Here's an example....

If I type 'blur' into the search box I get offered about 14 effects with blur in them. If I hit return I only get offered 6 to view (so, for example, 'Blur and Sepia' is not offered.
If I type 'blur' into the search box (as above) but go to check multiple effects offered in the list I can only select one. Sometimes the list disappears for good!

What I'd expect to be able to do is enter a word in the search box and for SPE to return all effects with that word in the title and enable me to view/shortlist/etc as normal.

And I personally would like to search on name OR tag (I assume effect creators can add tags?) because often I know an effect I've used before has 'xyz' in the title (which may not be a tag).

So, is it me or is the search facility somewhat lacking? I'd also say that with the number of effects we have now (and ever increasing) it will become even more important to be able to search accurately.

Richard

Site Admin

Re: Searching for Effects

Postby admin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:07 am

Hi Richard,

Point well made, searching on effect names would be a good thing to add. Currently it only searches on tags. Tags are added by effect authors, but can also be added by anyone once the effect is live. To add a new tag, you must have ratings enabled in the settings dialog. Then hover over an effect you want to tag and press on the button that appears when you hover over "Rate Effect" or "Rate as..." in the Effect Controls.

Tony

Postby Richard Briggs » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:40 am

Thanks Tony, at least I know now. This must be such a simple feature to add I would have thought.

Regards
Richard

Postby Arwin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:53 am

I totally agree Richard,

It's something I wrote about in a few topics by now, last topic was this topic (first page, second last comment)

It's just something that could be better (and would be more user friendly) as for now I have resigned myself to the fact that it is just a tagg/prefix search ability (Prefix, because it will show you effects starting with an equal prefix, like; My effect 001, My effect 002, My effect 003 will be shown if you search for My effect, without the need to tagg it like that.)

Another minor thingy good to know about tagging, you need to tagg one by one, comma separated does NOT work and space will seen as one full word.

In short:
-Hover over an effect you want to tagg.
-Goto "Rate Effect" or "Rate as..." and click on it.
-Enter your tagg, hit ok.
-Start again for an another tagg.

Succes,
Arwin
Check my Instagram if you have time, dedicated to my edits done in Smart Photo Editor!
Feel free to follow ;)

Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:51 pm

Hi Richard,

I just realised I've missed an important point: you can search for effect names, but only exact matches currently. That was a simple thing to add. What's missing is being able to search for inexact matches, substrings etc, which could be a bit more complicated. i.e. if you searched for the color 'white' would you expect to see black and white results come back because white is found in 'black and white'.

Tony

Postby DBenterprises » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:28 pm

I agree with Richard. This is definitely needed. In fact I posted this exact same request a few days ago but removed it as I figured I must just be doing it wrong/missing something simple. Now I see I'm not alone! So glad Richard posted this.

Postby Arwin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:47 pm

I personally dont mind when Black and White will returned when searching for White, you can skip easily through the pages to see the ones you like, there are atleast much less pages to skip! :)
Eventual you can make something with an '-', like when you search for 'White -Black' will only return 'White', but that will ask more in depth changes of course :)

My penny ;)

Arwin
Check my Instagram if you have time, dedicated to my edits done in Smart Photo Editor!
Feel free to follow ;)

Postby Arwin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Just thinking and thought to throw it in the group, it's not the final solution but maybe it helps to get there :roll:
Why not split the effect names up in separate words and use these words plus the full effect name as tags while the effects are processed into the db?

Just a wild idea ;)

Arwin
Feel free to follow ;)

Postby DBenterprises » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:20 pm

Is there a way to look at the whole list (in alphabetical order) of all the effects?

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:37 am

You can see all the effects (unless they need a selection) just by going into the gallery normally. That is all the effects, just ordered so the best ones are first.

Tony

Next

Return to Effects