Black & White

If you want to discuss individual effects, post here. Eventually the discussion of effects will be linked to the effects themselves.
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Black & White

Postby MJP » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:55 pm

I've switched my attention to black & white image creation from a coloured original. I'm floundering! I first of all looked for an option to desaturate, turn to black & white, but you don't seem to be able to do that with SPE, from the tone sliders for instance. It appears that I have to choose b&w effects (which is a real can of worms) and carry on from there. I find the b&w effects disturbing and I just don't want to have to wade through those.

In Picasa I've got filtered b&w - very straightforward and effective. In Lightroom I've got the b&w option and then all the sliders (apart from the presets which I do not use, to be honest). Lightroom is a dream and so easy and the results you can produce by eye are really good and not necessarily unnatural.

I need help with this!

Re: Black & White

Postby MJP » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:54 pm

I've answered my own question - I use "Add a Filter" and choose "Black and White". So, I am happy with this for now. Although I can't see why, if I hover over the original image I revert to colour (I have to click on the Black and White node in the network diagram). I will explore this in more detail .......

Return to Effects