Effects

If you want to discuss individual effects, post here. Eventually the discussion of effects will be linked to the effects themselves.
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Effects

Postby martinhogarth » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:14 pm

How do I put an effect behind my image instead of in front

Re: Effects

Postby eadams » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:02 pm

Can you please phrase your question differently, perhaps with an example? I don't understand what you are asking.

Postby Richard Briggs » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:44 am

I assume you are asking the following....

I have my source image loaded.
I create, say, two effects. So now I have my source image and two effects shown top right.

I find that you can move the two effect layers by dragging one left or right so you can change which effect is on top.
However, you can't seem to move the source image anywhere (i.e. to the right). This is a bit like Photoshop's Background Layer I suppose, so no surprises there.

However, I tried reloading my source image as an overlay and that placed a copy far right (i.e. it was now on top). However, I could find no way of dragging that to the left.
I tried reloading the image as an underlay. That presented an interesting image which may be of help to you. However you still couldn't move the reloaded source image left or right.

So, basically, I haven't answered your question! However it does mean I have the same question.

In Photoshop you can't move the background image. But you can make a copy of it to a new layer and that new layer can be moved anywhere in the hierarchy of effect layers you may have. So, is this same mechanism available in SPE? If so, how?

Richard

Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:46 am

I'm still not sure I understand the question. You can certainly put images behind other images in SPE using underlays in the composite panel. I'm not sure what it would mean to apply an effect behind an image as an effect acts on an image and there would be no image to act on.

Postby Richard Briggs » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:13 pm

It's me again!

1- I created a pure white image in Photoshop (you can probably do this in SPE).
2 - I loaded it into SPE.
3 - I then applied two effects. By adjusting the opacity of each of the two effects I could create 'artistic' images.
4 - I then loaded my 'SUBJECT IMAGE' as an OVERLAY.

At this stage all you can see is the Subject Image. But you can change this by either...

1 - Varying the opacity of the Subject Image layer or...
2 - Using the masking brush to expose the underlying effects as applied in 3 above.

Richard

Return to Effects