Unable to open Canon CR3 files

Post any questions about the Smart Photo Editor Software here
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Unable to open Canon CR3 files

Postby mekoumas » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:19 pm

I have the latest version of PhotoEditor Studio v 1.31.2.0 on Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 and am unable to open Canon CR3 files directly in the program. I have to change the file into a .tiff or .jpg before it will open the file. Is the program unable to open CR3 files or am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.

Re: Unable to open Canon CR3 files

Postby Richard Briggs » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:05 am

I'm no expert on this but....

Firstly I don't think SPE processes RAW files at all. I think it knows enough to open a RAW file but it only processes it as a JPG or whatever. In other words it is not a RAW editor like you may find in Photoshop. So you can't save any changes in RAW format. I may be wrong on this. If so, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Secondly, I encounter your problem all over the place with things like Photoshop. The reason is simply my religion is Pentax. And, because Pentax is so rare, most photo RAW editors simply don't support the Pentax RAW format (PEF) or, at best, support comes along very late. My solution is to set my camera to use DNG as the RAW format (which is an industry standard). I am sure I am losing something but it is not noticeable to me. All editors support DNG including SPE (but see above).

What if your camera doesn't support DNG as an option? Well, I've encountered this problem too with a Samsung camera (Remember? They made brilliant cameras!). In which case Adobe do a free utility to convert RAW files to DNG. See here... https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/u ... erter.html

Regards
Richard

Return to Other Questions About The Software