SPE Studio vs Standard SPE

Post any questions about the Smart Photo Editor Software here
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

SPE Studio vs Standard SPE

Postby rahimamin » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:06 pm

I like to know what's the difference, if any, between Standard SPE and the Studio version.

Site Admin

Re: SPE Studio vs Standard SPE

Postby admin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:20 am

Here you go! All the differences are described on the editions page.

Postby eadams » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:42 am

rahimamin wrote:I like to know what's the difference, if any, between Standard SPE and the Studio version.

I know the Admin already pointed to the list of differences which amount to the Studio version being able to be used as a plug-in.

This answer may be completely sufficient for you, and I am not assuming that you need further information.

However, it occurred to me that some people who have the same question may not be familiar with Photoshop, Photoshop Elements or know what a plug-in is. I thought I would add some detail for these people.

Users who already own and use Photoshop Elements or an older version of Photoshop or who subscribe to the newest version of Photoshop will definitely want to have the SPE Studio version. When working on an image in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements you can open SPE as a plug-in, apply some effects to a layer of your image and then continue to work on the image in the host application (Photoshop or Photoshop Elements).

Users who don't already use Photoshop or Photoshop Elements are well-served with the Standard version of SPE. You can apply different effects to your image, stack the effects, edit the effects and even save your working session so that you can interrupt your work and re-load the session at any future time and continue work on it. I use SPE Studio both as a plugin from Photoshop and as a standalone application, depending on what I am doing.

Postby Richard Briggs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:29 am

Or.....

In my case my images go through 2 phases of post processing....

Phase 1 - Photoshop Elements. This is where I use the RAW file to get the exposure right, do all the cropping, contrast, sharpness, etc etc. All the usual things - using the Raw Editor and the normal editor.

Phase 2 - Smart Photo Editor (Standard). Sometimes a photo just doesn't seem to work in spite of everything I do in Phase 1. This is when I use SPE and its effects. Often a 'flat' photo (for this read 'about to be deleted') suddenly springs into life. I could achieve the same in Photoshop Elements. - if I worked long and hard at it. But it is so easy in SPE. But I end up with what is still a photograph (see below).

That's my normal process. But then there's the cases where I want to create, hopefully, a piece of 'art' (This is where the purist photographers have a problem). I take a photo and then apply, sometimes extreme effects. And sometimes I produce something that others literally say 'wow' when they see it. I have such an example blown up, framed and hanging in the hall. Visitors, almost without fail, express their amazement at it. I had it professionally printed and framed in town and the shop hung it up prior to me collecting it. They had several people come in wanting to buy it! That is the real power of SPE.

Richard

Return to Other Questions About The Software