SPE file list thumbnails.

Post any questions about the Smart Photo Editor Software here
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

SPE file list thumbnails.

Postby Bleeper » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:49 pm

I do basic adjustments to my RAW (CR) files in Canon's Digital Photo Professional software. I then open these files in SPE to do further editing. The file list in SPE however, list the files as animated icons not thumbnail- pictures which makes it difficult to recognise and select specific pictures for editing. Is there a way to fix this?
Attachments
Untitled.png
SPE file list icons
Untitled.png (125.96 KiB) Viewed 6559 times

Re: SPE file list thumbnails.

Postby eadams » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:52 pm

What format are the files that you want to open? When I try to open a Canon .CR2 raw file, I see thumbnails in the SPE Open File dialog. (Windows 8.1)

Postby Bleeper » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:52 pm

eadams wrote:What format are the files that you want to open? When I try to open a Canon .CR2 raw file, I see thumbnails in the SPE Open File dialog. (Windows 8.1)

The files are .CR2 raw and stored on an external HD. My OS is Windows 7.

Postby DennB » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:51 pm

What happens when you go directly to that folder, does it still show this way or only when going fron SPE? Right click a file and click on properties. Can you set them to open in another program? Convert them to DNG and see what happens. Do you have the latest codecs to open RAW files in Windows?

Postby eadams » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:03 am

I scanned through the Windows 7 forums. Some people have solved their problem of thumbnails not showing by doing the following steps:
In Windows Explorer,

click on Organize - Folder and Search Options - View

uncheck "Always show icons, never thumbnails"

I seem to remember that back in the day when I was using Windows Vista or Windows 7 (can't remember which) I had to buy a 3rd party add-on in order to display thumbnails for Photoshop and RAW files. I think this is related to Denn's question about having the right codecs installed.

Another troubleshooting thing to try: What happens if you try to open a .CR2 file from your local hard disk and not from the external drive?

Postby DennB » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:44 pm

Postby Bleeper » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:45 am

Thank you for your replies and advice. I have downloaded and installed the Canon CR2 codec for Windows 7 and the problem has been solved.

Return to Other Questions About The Software