SPE Needs to be Marketed!!

Want to say something that doesn't fit in the other categories, like suggesting a new forum? Tell us here.

SPE Needs to be Marketed!!

Postby Richard Briggs » Thu May 08, 2014 11:32 am

I am wondering why no one seems to have heard of SPE! It is brilliant and I really think the owners of this software do not realise what they have here. By way of an example I entered a 'post processing' contest on the Pentax Forum and, to date, even though I say so myself, my entry beats the others hands down. I looked through all entries and the majority have used CS, PSE or Lightroom. Some freebies on tablets and smart phones like Pixlr. Have a look and see what you think. If I win I'll sing the praises of SPE. Basically it was a 'Replace Sky' and 'Accentuate Lighting'. 3 minute job.

Here's the URL: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/7-pe ... -23-a.html

Richard

Re: SPE Needs to be Marketed!!

Postby Richard Briggs » Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Oh yes, mine is about halfway down the second page.

Postby Arwin » Thu May 08, 2014 12:23 pm

Agree! :D

I yell it everywhere I can, but I see alot of talks about other programs, which some I used also in the past and still do sometimes, but mainly using SPE because of it's easiness and diversity of possibilities!

It's indeed a brilliant piece of software and may have way more spotlights shine on it!

Arwin

Ps your entry looks great Richard, although I wouldn't use the Magic vignette by david here, but that's personal ;)
Wish you luck in the contest!
Check my Instagram if you have time, dedicated to my edits done in Smart Photo Editor!
Feel free to follow ;)

Postby basdev » Wed May 14, 2014 5:05 pm

that's mine :-) .. BTW.. very good Idea ..
Attachments
Pentax Compact Camera Post Processing Contest #23 -- resize_pe.jpg
Pentax Compact Camera Post Processing Contest #23 -- resize_pe.jpg (323.76 KiB) Viewed 6976 times

Postby Richard Briggs » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:42 am

I won! I shall put in a plug for SPE.
Richard

Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:36 am

Congratulations Richard!

Postby realsara » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:28 pm

I have only just found SPE today after someone mentioned it in the filter forge forum.

I am addicted to digital art programes and would never have known about this one if I hadnt read the offtopic forum post (thanks!)

Just been playing with the software for a few hours and am now off to purchase - as it really looks amazing!

Thanks
Sara

Postby eadams » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:11 am

I love this program mostly because of the inspiration it provides. Seeing my image with a myriad of different effects applied to it gives me ideas I otherwise wouldn't have. I learned about SPE in a newsletter email I received from Anthropics, having bought their better known product Portrait Professional years ago. That product is widely advertised (I think I first learned about it in some Photoshop magazine).

SPE is not widely advertised, and if it were, Anthropics would probably have to raise the price. Also, if it widely came to the attention of imaging professionals, a controversy might arise over the business model of building the product around effects provided by the community.

This alone would be fine if the effects did not contain external images (textures, masks, etc), but many do. Professional artists and photographers are wary of incorporating any kind of image in their works without 100% assurance that the material is not copyrighted.

I don't consider this a reason not to use the product, since I could replace any texture, etc, provided by the effect author with my own original texture using the Effect Editor. (I would do that anyway if I were a professional - I certainly would not want buyers to recognize the effect I used, like in the previous post where Arwin recognized the Magic Vignette used on your beautiful rendering of the building). However, SPE may be keeping a low profile to avoid the controversy - just a thought.

Return to Anything else