Are we cheating?

Want to say something that doesn't fit in the other categories, like suggesting a new forum? Tell us here.

Are we cheating?

Postby Richard Briggs » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm totally hooked on SPE. Bit like being hooked on a computer game. But for all this I've long had a deep feeling inside that all this post-processing is cheating. But I had an incident the other week that has crystallised my views.....

I was out walking late in the afternoon in woodland here in England. So, low bright sun, golden leaves, chilly, long shadows etc. I entered a little glade with the sun streaming in directly ahead and I could see a great photo albeit under difficult conditions. But I set up the tripod and took about 12 pictures of varying apertures, shutter speeds etc. The best one is shown below at the top. But somehow it didn't quite capture the scene. But after a little work in SPE (the bottom picture) I got what I wanted. But then it struck me that what I'd created was not actually what I saw with my eyes but what I saw in my mind! In other words the scene got my imagination working and what I was using SPE to do was simply bring my imagination to reality.

So, if we accept that most post processing is not about making up for deficiencies in your photographic skills but is about bringing what you imagine to reality then, if you do have doubts about the validity of tools like SPE, then you'll feel a whole lot better. No different to a painter who lets their imaginations run wild.

Richard
Attachments
Glade.jpg
Glade.jpg (752.85 KiB) Viewed 6602 times

Re: Are we cheating?

Postby Arwin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:58 pm

Well said Richard!

You created a beautyful, warm photo out of it!

Arwin
Check my Instagram if you have time, dedicated to my edits done in Smart Photo Editor!
Feel free to follow ;)

Postby Mozzy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Richard, it is just a digital darkroom. If you shoot in RAW which is as bland can be it needs sorting viz PP.

I've no issues if I can create a gorgeous image. I have taken a couple lately that were IMO boring and bland. After processing I'm delighted to say one has been taken on by a major poster company. I'd never have shot it wo=ithout help .... for that is what it is, help.

Mozzy

Postby Richard Briggs » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Hi again,

I think you mentioned the reason why I sometimes think I'm cheating! I find I never really do much PP on photos that come out of the camera good. It's those 'failures' or neutral pictures I home in on. And the results can be staggering. So, average photo turned into great picture. That's why I keep getting a nagging feeling I'm cheating.

BUT... only yesterday I took a series of landscapes that, on the face of it, would be very average. Grey skies etc. However, the REASON I took them is because I could see possibilities in Photoshop and SPE. Here's an example....

Richard
Attachments
Stourhead.jpg
Stourhead.jpg (495.28 KiB) Viewed 6576 times

Postby PixelPop » Tue May 27, 2014 4:40 pm

You are not cheating - you are creating art. Open up and say ah! You did that on the second photo and it shows.

Postby eadams » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:50 pm

I've often asked myself that very question, and feel guilty about being able to use tools such as SPE to create something I think is beautiful, when in the old days real artists had to spend weeks or months to create something similar (and they had to have real talent!).

It is also sad when a photographer shoots a perfect picture (often at the risk of life and limb to get the perfect shot) and doesn't get recognition for it because everyone assumes it is faked.

Postby PixelPop » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:44 pm

I say you are not cheating...after having spent years of my life in a real dark room...exposing papers and running a developer machine that took a super long time to do it's job. Then spending a ton of time tweaking the time and color of exposures - until just right (after changing out the chemicals on the developer). I could say it was a lot of fun, but it was more frustration than excitement. It was a labor of love, for sure.

Using software to develop and enhance YOUR photos is not cheating. It's simply saving your lifetime and exposure to chemicals. Being able to tweak in a dynamic digital darkroom is much faster. Now, is the best time to take that saved time and experiment, create new filters, share with others and help them 'cheat' time. The only thing you are cheating is the time and frustration it used to take me get a photo's exposure and color correct. If you do not want to cheat - learn all you can and exploit this and all other software you own to give your viewers, stunning results.

Spend time with this and you will move beyond the WOW phase and start creating a style/art that reflects your vision for others to experience.

You are correct regarding photographers taking risks to get a money shot. With that I say, take that shot and live in the moment. Let your admirers live in the past, through your art. Stay on the leading edge and don't let anyone or anything slow you down.

Saying this is cheating is only if you are not taking photos and tweaking them yourself. Get out there and have some fun while you still can! ;)

Postby gabe » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:28 am

SMI has opened up New Doors of Creation for me!Thanks SMI,I can now express myself like I wish too!! gary/images by collins

Return to Anything else