Niggles

Want to say something that doesn't fit in the other categories, like suggesting a new forum? Tell us here.

Niggles

Postby MJP » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:23 pm

Oh, the number of times I've gone to Edit Photo and clicked only to find that I have inadvertantly chosen "Add effect to whole photo"! I still do it if I am in too much haste.

For me, Rotate needs an icon for one way or the other and better not on the Edit Photo panel. Clicking on Edit Photo then having to read about anticlockwise or clockwise (I have to work it out in my head each time) is slow and makes my brain hurt.

Crop could do with an icon somewhere also and incorporate straighten (you can see where I am coming from!).

I think the basic tweaks are too mixed up with the effects. Rotate, crop, straighten and the tone sliders (to name but a few) all come first in the workflow for me. I'd like them differentiated.

In conclusion: single click icons for some actions; differentiate essential image improvement from effects.

Site Admin

Re: Niggles

Postby admin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:47 am

Basically I agree. It's something we're thinking about right now. One re-organisation we are considering, is two rotate buttons on the "Original picture" tab rather than with the rest of the edits. Perhaps a combined "Crop and Straighten" could go there too. I'm not sure that tone sliders (and other similar things) come before effects however, as many effects affect the tone of the image too.

Postby MJP » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:09 pm

I use a relatively old DSR, a Nikon D200, and straight out of the camera images need tweaking before I am at the starting point for what you call effects. I normally adjust Exposure, Blacks, Brightness/Contrast and Clarity (sometimes Temperature, less so Recovery & Fill Light). Once I have done this I will consider effects but to be honest I very rarely do this so that it produces an unnatural image.

While I am using the Smart Photo Editor I will experiment more with what I call extreme effects. Who knows, I may get to like them.

Anyway, I hope this explains why I class some use of the Tone Adjustments as "basic".

Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:28 pm

Thanks for all your feedback, it's very useful to us.

A couple of questions: How are all the sliders to you? Are there any missing? Any you wish worked differently?

As far as effects go, a lot of them do produce an unreal image at the moment, but we are going to add more realistic ones too. Realistic effects are more often found in the "Enhancements by photo contents" galleries.

Postby TrumanPhotography » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:29 pm

MJP, By taking a photo and doing special effects to it, don't make it unnatural, or every Painter / Artist would be out of work.. The idea of doing Digital Art to a photo is to make it POP, and to give the person you photographed something Uncle Charlie can't give them with him Low end / High MP camera... As a Pro Photographer my Digital art to the photos I shoot is what sets me aside from Uncle Charlie and his 14.5 Cool Pix.. Technology has put great photos in the hands of the average Joe out there, so you need to have something that when they see it, there speechless...

Return to Anything else