Purging presets is a MUST HAVE

Please let us know of absolutely anything you think is missing from Smart Photo Editor.

Purging presets is a MUST HAVE

Postby mellick » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:00 pm

I love the many aspects of this program and it is great for getting an effect quickly once you have selected an effect BUT when you are trying to find a particular effect you remember seeing before but cant find it using search you have to go through page after page which could be up to almost 600 mouse clicks at present if you have 10 previews per page.

This would not be so bad if you didn't get page after page after page of basically the same effect with different hues and page after page after page of ridiculous speech bubble presets (the same thing over and over again with slight variation of graphic overlay) or page after page of the same border preset with different border colours.

While I appreciate you have a great program the quality of many effects you add and download to end users (whether they want them or not) leaves a bit to be desired. This would not be too bad if you had a purge or hide preset feature but you don't.

Your argument in the past is that what one user might consider to be a rubbish preset might in fact be one that other users may love and I totally get this but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us the option to exclude the ones we as individuals have no use for and no desire to see, rather than have to scroll through an ever increasing number of pages of preset previews.

I am not alone in asking for this and to be honest the program has gone from being something that was a pleasure to use to being somewhat of a nightmare when previewing presets.

The program seems to be going more for quantity of presets over quality and this is making it less and less usable.

SPE can be a great tool but with an ever increasing number of effects, end users must be allowed to purge stuff they do not want in order for it to be the quick and easy tool I believe it was intended to be at inception.

Site Admin

Re: Purging presets is a MUST HAVE

Postby admin » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:00 pm

In terms of keeping track of the presets that you like, the way that's implemented in SPE is to use the favorites mechanism. I take your point about wanting to curate your own gallery, but the added complexity to provide such an interface I think outweighs the marginal benefit you get of having a curated gallery in addition to the favourites system. What does everyone else think?

Tony

Postby eadams » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:37 pm

admin wrote:In terms of keeping track of the presets that you like, the way that's implemented in SPE is to use the favorites mechanism. I take your point about wanting to curate your own gallery, but the added complexity to provide such an interface I think outweighs the marginal benefit you get of having a curated gallery in addition to the favourites system. What does everyone else think?

Tony

Some time ago I posted some feedback in the feedback forum about the search options and how I was unable to find what I needed. I haven't had time to do any photo editing lately, so I don't have this feedback at the top of my head, but I remember thinking that the favorites functionality, though better than nothing, could be improved upon.

Postby mellick » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:17 pm

admin wrote:In terms of keeping track of the presets that you like, the way that's implemented in SPE is to use the favorites mechanism. I take your point about wanting to curate your own gallery, but the added complexity to provide such an interface I think outweighs the marginal benefit you get of having a curated gallery in addition to the favourites system. What does everyone else think?

Tony

Thanks for your response, unfortunately my SPE has a habit of losing my favourites and these do not display in the grid format but in a list so you cant just favour everything you do not dislike and use your favourites to scan though all the effects that you don't dislike. I appreciate it requires some work which is why I suggested what seems to be the quickest method of just hiding ones that have been selected as disliked.

There are 100's of effects by individual authors none of which I have any use for so a hide by author or hide where a keyword is entered like 'border' would help whittle down a lot of pages and 100's of mouse clicks. I was trying to find what turned out to be something called 'one click creative circle effect' I had searched for it using circle, round, creative but the search only searches for effects that START with what you have entered and I didn't remember that it was one click.

Other than the issue I brought up, it is absolutely fantastic product and something I would highly recommend to anyone who asked and the price is something you can not argue with

Return to Feature Requests