Dave's list of things...

Please let us know of absolutely anything you think is missing from Smart Photo Editor.

Dave's list of things...

Postby loosemoosedave » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:44 pm

Hello..I'll add to this thread as I play with the software more..

Had a few hiccups with my office virus scanner at installation & running the software. Not necessarily a complaint, just something I thought I'd point out.

When clicking things on the sidebar, I reckon you could do away with the animated white border that flies across onto the image.

In the gallery, would it be possible to mousewheel scroll through all the results instead of having individual pages to manually click?
Also in the gallery, I'd be happy to get rid of the popup adjustable sliders. If the thumbnail is enticing enough I'm likely to click on it anyway.

Colour selection using the HSV/RGB/CMYK sliders is a little fiddly with the current slider size. Increase the size of the knob (teehee)?
It'd also be nice to have the numerical input option below the sliders for quick access...and maybe the colour graph thing.
Also related to colour selection, I didn't notice a colour pipette tool?

More bitching to come..

Re: Dave's list of things...

Postby Tony » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:14 pm

In the gallery, would it be possible to mousewheel scroll through all the results instead of having individual pages to manually click?

Do you mean scrolling through results on the same page or paging through groups of results? A lot of the users we've had in expected the scroll wheel to zoom, so it's more likely that the scroll wheel will do that. However, what about having the arrow keys go between different results (and then go to the next page after reaching the final result). That's something another user requested.

Also in the gallery, I'd be happy to get rid of the popup adjustable sliders. If the thumbnail is enticing enough I'm likely to click on it anyway.

I could make it an option, but not everyone tries clicking on the results, so I couldn't have it as the default.

Colour selection using the HSV/RGB/CMYK sliders is a little fiddly with the current slider size. Increase the size of the knob (teehee)?
It'd also be nice to have the numerical input option below the sliders for quick access...and maybe the colour graph thing.
Also related to colour selection, I didn't notice a colour pipette tool?

Yeah, our colour selector really sucks, and is something I've been meaning to fix for sometime. Some hints: click and drag on the color swatch and it acts like a pipette. Double click on it and you get the standard colour selector.

More bitching to come..

I look forward to it. :)

Postby loosemoosedave » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:08 pm

Scrolling results - something like this! Maybe I just want to click "next" less & I like fancy/gimmicky interfaces -
http://www.cooliris.com/

Not too sure about the wheel for zooming in. I'm so used to hitting "z" for photoshop, or in Lightroom's case, just clicking on the image.

Postby Tony » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:50 pm

Nice! The problem with quick scrolling through the results is each effect takes some time to render, so zipping through them like that just isn't possible.

We used to have click to zoom on the grid view in the gallery (which I was very keen on), however it confused large numbers of the users we got in for testing. It still remains in the maximised view of the gallery and the rest of the ui. We also support + and - to zoom in and out.

Postby loosemoosedave » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:00 am

I must say now that I can load in my Raw files & the white rectangles are gone, I'm finding the software a lot more enjoyable to use.

With the current gradient tool, would it be possible to keep the white outline around the colour markers? At the moment if I stick the colour to black, or give it an alpha value of zero, It can be a little fiddly reselecting the marker.
In network view, I find myself shaking the nodes to disconnect them. This is due to a few years of using the compositing tool called Shake. It sounds pointless, but it does feel nice!

Had an "idea" (well, its something Adobe made..) - for a grading/colouring filter, could there be a palette suggester? It'd be this - http://kuler.adobe.com/#themes/rating?time=30 but in the form of a tone mapper. Perhaps you could just augment the existing tools you have. In kuler people rate the colour combos etc...so there is some social bit behind it.

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:47 am

With the current gradient tool, would it be possible to keep the white outline around the colour markers? At the moment if I stick the colour to black, or give it an alpha value of zero, It can be a little fiddly reselecting the marker.

Yeah, also the gradient itself is much too small for doing gradients where there are a lot of colour stops.

In network view, I find myself shaking the nodes to disconnect them. This is due to a few years of using the compositing tool called Shake. It sounds pointless, but it does feel nice!

For the most part you don't need to disconnect nodes, because connecting an input automatically removes the old input, but like you I do disconnect them just to organise stuff!

Had an "idea" (well, its something Adobe made..) - for a grading/colouring filter, could there be a palette suggester? It'd be this - http://kuler.adobe.com/#themes/rating?time=30 but in the form of a tone mapper. Perhaps you could just augment the existing tools you have. In kuler people rate the colour combos etc...so there is some social bit behind it.

There's actually a whole bit of the software devoted to colour ways for pictures that's currently disabled and hidden, where there's an integrated web browser in photo editor and you just draw a rectangle over any picture in any web page and it will apply the colour scheme for it onto your photo. It's quite fun! You can then upload that as an effect and so it gets shared like any other effect.

Tony

Postby Cool Grey Photography » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:13 pm

loosemoosedave wrote:Also in the gallery, I'd be happy to get rid of the popup adjustable sliders. If the thumbnail is enticing enough I'm likely to click on it anyway.

I agree with this one. I can see what the design is trying to do but it feels over engineered, especially given that I would seriously tweak sliders while in thumbnail view and it creates a bit of a cognitive overload when navigating the page.

Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:35 am

I think this is a matter of taste (I prefer to work just in grid view, apply then adjust). However, if one could turn it off in the settings dialog would that be good enough?

Postby Cool Grey Photography » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:29 am

I think I'd be more inclined to "turn on" additional complex rather than "turn it off".

Return to Feature Requests