Rendering

Ask any questions about publishing effects
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Rendering

Postby Carolf8 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:17 pm

I am finding that once I use and adjust the oil paint effects, I save the image and what is actually saved is less than the quality that I wanted. During save, it renders and changes the look of the image that I wanted. Not happy with this or the results after rendering. If I had wanted it changed, I would have changed it during application. Anyone else with similar problems?

Site Admin

Re: Rendering

Postby admin » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:58 am

Hi Carol,

Sorry to hear the saved version isn't coming out right. I hope I can fix it for you. Could you double check that the Jpeg Quality is set to a high value ( 90 or more ) in the export options when saving, as having a low jpeg quality set will result in a low quality image. Some other customers have had that problem. Another thing worth pointing out is that by default when working with raw files, Smart Photo Editor will just use an 8 bit version when in the software, but save out a 16 bit version, which means your saved version can look different. To change this, go to settings and uncheck "Load 16 bit images as 8 bit.."

If it's not either of those issues, do let me know and I can investigate further.

Tony

Postby Eriskay » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:55 am

I've been having that problem, also.
Thanks, Tony I will check this out.

Postby Shelley Lewis » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:01 am

Hi,
I am also having problems with rendering which seems to vastly reduce the size of the original picture.
I started with a 2.8mb size and after editing with Smart Photo Editor it saved as 207kb which would not print well in a large size.
How does one retain high quality large size pics please?
Thanks,
SHelley

Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:09 am

Hi Shelly,

Take a look at my original reply. In 99% of cases it's because the quality slider has been turned way down.

Tony

Postby Shelley Lewis » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:07 am

Hi Tony,
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try again checking the quaiity slider but I think it was set to high. I'll also try the 16/8 bit save.
Should the edited version save with the same MB as the original version?
Thanks,
Shelley

Postby Shelley Lewis » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:31 am

Hello Tony,
Following your advice yesterday I have re-edited and saved the same pic ensuring the size slider bar is set to Original Size (which is 2.73MB PNG before editing.
Post editing and rendering with Smart Photo Editor the size has reduced to 1.36MB for a PNG copy and only 685KB for a JPEG copy.
Should JPEG or PNG make any difference to the size?
I'm attaching a screenshot of the settings window. Please let me know if that is set correctly to keep the post rendering size the same as the original - and what else I can try to keep the before and after editing resolution the same.
Settings (2).jpg
Settings (2).jpg (282.42 KiB) Viewed 10509 times

I cannot find where there is the option you spoke of with regard to the 8/16 bit.
Thanks,
Shelley

Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:39 am

The 8 and 16 bit option I refer to is in the Settings dialog, but it has no effect on saved files, just what you see on the screen.

The file size you can see after saving does not indicate the resolution of the photo. You will see that all the files you save from your camera have different jpeg file sizes despite being the same resolution. The file size indicates the amount of information in your image. Some of the effects reduce the amount of information intentionally as part of the artistic effect. For instance, smoothing skin removes information about freckles or imperfections. The important thing is what the photo looks like: and when you save as a png or a jpeg with high quality settings you should see no or very little difference compared to what is on your screen.

Kind regards

Tony

Postby Shelley Lewis » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Thank you for the info Tony - I now understand why the effects reduce the MBs.
I was questioning the size of the file because I would like to have the edited pic made into a 2ft square wall hung canvas and the company I use that produces them says the higher the resolution the better the result. I will send them my edited pic and see if they think the resolution is high enough.

Postby DennB » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:57 pm

If you want quality, you need to start with quality. I recommend you shoot in RAW and save as a TIFF.

Return to Publishing Effects