overlays

Ask any questions about publishing effects
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

overlays

Postby sherman1983 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:35 pm

Does anyone know if overlays are offered with this program and how to get them? Are if there is a good program that has various kinds of overlays for windows 10?

Re: overlays

Postby Richard Briggs » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:02 am

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'overlays'. In my experience....

A program such as Photoshop Elements provides many effects which are used by creating a layer on top of the original image. However, I wouldn't call these 'overlays'. I'd call them 'effects'.

But I have folders full of what I would call 'overlays' (jpgs) provided by all manner of people over the years for PSE. Things like ageing overlays, party overlays, cloud overlays etc etc. None were provided by Adobe. Actually, they are not provided for PSE. They are simply jpg (or TIFF etc) images.

So, assuming we have a common understanding based upon the above, in my view, Smart Photo Editor's main strength is its 7000+ effects which are, in effect, overlays. Or, using the Composite feature, you can take your own external jpg (as in my overlays for PSE above) and apply as an over (or under) lay to an image.

Maybe I have misunderstood the question or what you mean by overlays. If so, please explain further.

Richard

Re: overlays

Postby eadams » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:35 pm

Since I belong to some design software groups on Facebook I get a lot of ads about overlays that can be purchased. They are bundles of images that are theme-oriented, e.g. overlays for wedding photos, winter themes, summer overlays, etc. They are usually transparent images with stuff like butterflies, snowflakes or flowers that you can combine with your existing image. Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?

Smart Photo Editor does not come with a library of such images. However, as Richard Briggs has indicated, there are many community-created effects that combine your image with other images that are part of the effect. You can use these images to create effects of your own or replace them in an effect with an image of your own. But they are not transparent overlays of the type I mentioned above.

Return to Publishing Effects