Using Compositing

Ask any questions about compositing.
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Using Compositing

Postby frangipani » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:44 am

Can someone please explain to me how to use this feature. I have no idea, any help would be appreciated :D

Site Admin

Re: Using Compositing

Postby admin » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:44 am

When you add an overlay, you add a new image on top of your existing image. You then use the brushes to select which parts of the new image you want to be transparent. You can use this to add new objects on top of your picture.

When you add an underlay, you add a new image underneath your existing image. You then use the brushes to select which parts of your *existing* image should allow the underlay to show through. This is basically making your existing image transparent in various places. You can use this to replace backgrounds or skies.

Tony

Postby frangipanica » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:00 pm

Thanks Tony, looking forward to having a go

Postby patautrey » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:30 am

is there a way to use a gradient when compositing to get more of a feathered, soft edge combination?

Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:20 am

Currently we don't have gradient selections, but the airbrush will give you a softer selection. And the larger the airbrush the softer the selection will be.

Tony

Postby patautrey » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:18 am

thanks - sounds like a good work around

Postby LillianR » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi Tony,

How do I save a photo I have edited using the composite tool? I am happy with the pic but cannot see how to save it? Thank you

Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:41 am

Hi LillianR,

Am I right in thinking you want to save the result of your composite (rather than just the edit)? Then you just go to the File menu (at the top of the window on a PC or at the top of the screen on a Mac) and choose "Save as Jpg/Tiff/Png". Is that what you meant?

If you've done a composite and you want to do the same change on another picture (i.e. if you've added an object that you want to add into another picture), you can right click on the composite tab and choose "Store Or Publish", then follow the instructions to save what you've done as an effect that you can reuse.

Tony

Postby LillianR » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your quick reply. I want to save the composite overlay I have added to a photo. When I click file and save like I normally do after working with a photo it will not save.

Tony I do want to save the result of the composite I just cannot save it.

Thanks also for the other info regarding store or publish.

Cheers Lillian

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:40 am

Hi Lillian,

What goes wrong when you click file and save?

Thanks,

Tony

Next

Return to Compositing And Montage