Adding a png overlay

Ask any questions about compositing.
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Adding a png overlay

Postby jmac99 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:33 pm

I bought some leaf overlays to use, but when I add them to my photo using the Blend mode 'Multiply', the leaves appear inside little squares. What am I doing wrong?
If I don't use Multiply, the image appears with a white background rather than a transparent one, yet I'm told all these overlays can be used in any software that uses layers. Can someone offer advice? I've contacted the store, she tells me that I should just place it over the photo I'm working on and I should be able to see through the overlay, and shouldn't need to use Multiply.

Site Admin

Re: Adding a png overlay

Postby admin » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:47 am

Dear jmac99

I'm afraid we don't currently support transparency in png files. If you want parts of the picture to be transparent you'll have to mask them out with the brush in the composite tool. The multiply blending mode is when you have a black logo on a white background, which I guess isn't the case for your leaves.

Tony

Return to Compositing And Montage