3 Questions about the Area Treatment

Ask any questions about Area Treatment
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

3 Questions about the Area Treatment

Postby fishmi » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:50 pm

How can I quickly delete existing unused areas?
How can I select an existing Area under "Area treatment"?
How can I remove an existing Area (for example select "Select Area - Background" and "Remove existing Area") and change it with the properties from Area Treatment? At the moment I can only select gallery!

Re: 3 Questions about the Area Treatment

Postby eadams » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:11 pm

fishmi wrote:How can I quickly delete existing unused areas?
How can I select an existing Area under "Area treatment"?
How can I remove an existing Area (for example select "Select Area - Background" and "Remove existing Area") and change it with the properties from Area Treatment? At the moment I can only select gallery!

1. You can delete unused areas defined with the Area Treatment tool by clicking on the little X next to the name of the area the Area Treatment Panel. By default, the areas are named "Area 1", "Area 2" etc. I haven't discovered a way to delete unused areas defined with the Select Area Tool. If this is possible I would be glad to learn about it.
2. To my knowledge, after you define areas using the Area Treatment panel, you can only go back and adjust or delete them by clicking on the Area Treatment thumbnail at the top of the screen (where all the thumbnails of effects applied to the image appear). This will re-open the Area Treatment Panel and let you change the sliders. As far as I know there is no way to select an existing area in the Area Treatment Panel that was created with the Select Area tool. Those areas can only have effects from the Gallery applied to them.
3. It sounds like you want to merge the functionality of the Select Area tool and the Area Treatment tool. I don't think this is possible. The only overlap I have discovered is the ability to re-name areas defined with the Area Treatment tool by clicking on their names. The Select Area tool will pop up and you can select one of the pre-defined names or write in a new name under "Anything else".

If I am mistaken about any of the information I posted here I apologize.

Postby fishmi » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:30 pm

Thank you very much for the answers.
I would have thought now that this community is managed by a Smart Photo Editor developer. But apparently that's not the case. Is there any further development at all?

To your answers:
Of course I know the little "X", but if you click on it, this area will not be deleted, but only a new area with a new number will be created. This quickly creates areas that are no longer needed. See well, if you then move the mouse over "Gallery".

My third question was a little complicated, but I think your answer fits.
I try again to describe the, in my opinion, quite usual process.
1. I create a new mask of an object with the Area Treatment Tool.
2. I then optimize this object with regard to sharpness or exposure, for example.
3. then I want to optimize the background, but with different values (for example different lighting and less saturation)
4. I select "Select Area - Background" and then "Remove XYZ" to remove the object from the mask.
5. but now I only have the possibility to select the gallery, not the possibility to use the settings of Area Treatment.
So I have to search the gallery for the appropriate settings and possibly combine them. Of course this is tedious.
Too bad it doesn't work.

Postby eadams » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:45 pm

fishmi wrote:Thank you very much for the answers.
I would have thought now that this community is managed by a Smart Photo Editor developer. But apparently that's not the case. Is there any further development at all?

To your answers:
Of course I know the little "X", but if you click on it, this area will not be deleted, but only a new area with a new number will be created. This quickly creates areas that are no longer needed. See well, if you then move the mouse over "Gallery".

My third question was a little complicated, but I think your answer fits.
I try again to describe the, in my opinion, quite usual process.
1. I create a new mask of an object with the Area Treatment Tool.
2. I then optimize this object with regard to sharpness or exposure, for example.
3. then I want to optimize the background, but with different values (for example different lighting and less saturation)
4. I select "Select Area - Background" and then "Remove XYZ" to remove the object from the mask.
5. but now I only have the possibility to select the gallery, not the possibility to use the settings of Area Treatment.
So I have to search the gallery for the appropriate settings and possibly combine them. Of course this is tedious.
Too bad it doesn't work.

The only additional suggestion I have to make is when you find an effect in the gallery that comes close to what you want, that you manually edit the effect (right mouse click on thumbnail) in the Effect Editor.

With regard to the community being managed by a developer, this forum is monitored by the software company, and they often reply when no community member can answer a question. It has been several years, however, since the developers have been actively soliciting input for new product features. They have since been advertising and updating their newer product LandscapePro and they continue to add features to Portrait Pro and Portrait Pro Body. Smart Photo Editor still lives on, however, and continues to be my favorite photo editor, even though there are loads of updated features I would like.

Return to Area Treatment