Trying to apply treatments to frames

Ask any questions about Area Treatment
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Trying to apply treatments to frames

Postby RayLNelson » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:37 am

22852149_1817573161605044_3972569022675087330_n.jpg
Sample of how messy the find edge is.
22852149_1817573161605044_3972569022675087330_n.jpg (87.3 KiB) Viewed 5908 times

I can't find this in the treads or manuals, but selecting the very straight areas for treatments with the (find edge) painter. My hand is not steady and I've attached results. Trying to see what different color frames would do to enhance my pictures.

How can I select these regions easily. With Paint I can just draw rectangles...

Re: Trying to apply treatments to frames

Postby Richard Briggs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:23 am

I assume you are trying to see what colour frames (i.e. real life, wooden, whatever) would best suit your picture before spending a fortune having it framed?

I have done this a number of times for my own images I have had blown up to hang on the wall and the approach I take is to:

a) In your case, crop the jpeg so you have removed the existing frame from the photograph. It doesn't matter how accurately you do this (within reason) as you are only interested in the colours present in the picture. Use the Ctop tool to do this.

b) Save the image as image_noframe or whatever.

c) Now load that image and apply one of the many borders/frames from the gallery. Pick one that is plain white. For example, 'White border' by david.

d) Now play withe the effect sliders on the left to introduce colour to the frame. When you have a colour that complements the image save the image with a new filename.

e) Repeat d as often as you like and then choose which colour best matches your print.

f) Pay loads of money to get a real frame made for it in that colour.

Richard

PS I also would be interested if the functionality you were looking for exists in SPE.
'

Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:18 am

All the selection tools in SPE are designed for natural images, so there aren't any that always select a straight edge, I'm afraid.

Postby RayLNelson » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Thank you to Richard Briggs.

Your idea is great, I have original picture so can easily apply frames from gallery. Will try that when I get back on my laptop. I have only one license and 2 PC's... lol. I started making my frames so they don't have to cost so much.

Thanks again

PS to Admin: Those shapes would sure be a nice add on for your product.

Return to Area Treatment