Black background around portrait but hair looks funny

Ask any questions about Area Treatment
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Black background around portrait but hair looks funny

Postby prettywoman » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi

I am doing a portrait shot and put a black background in, unfortunately I just can't get the black to sit perfectly around the hair of the subject it is standing out and is obvious I have put a black background in. How do I blend the hair or put the background in better to look natural?? Hope I have explained that ok ?

Re: Black background around portrait but hair looks funny

Postby eadams » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:35 am

I love the area selecting capabilities of SPE and often prefer to use SPE rather than Photoshop in many instances to select an area. Having said that, replacing a background with one that doesn't match the lighting of the original background is always a tricky proposition because obvious fringing is unavoidable.

Have you tried applying a darkening filter to the subject selection and erasing it everywhere except on the hair edges?

Postby prettywoman » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi
Thank you for getting back to me, this there anyone in particular? Do you know the name of it?

Many thanks

Postby eadams » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:27 pm

Are you asking for a recommendation for a particular effect? I did some experimenting with a photo of mine, and couldn't get a satisfactory result when turning a light background to black. So I can't really recommend anything. I guess the best way to obtain a portrait against a black background is to photograph the subject against a black background. :cry:

I would be very interested in seeing tips from others.

Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:49 am

As Eadams says, replacing background can be very difficult. One tip you might not be aware of is the "Remove Halo" button in the composite tool (The third button in the underlay layer controls, it looks like a fuzzy red blob, half of which has a halo). Pressing it will attempt to remove a halo from around a subject when using an underlay to replace the background. The other tip I'd give is practice using the Find Soft Edge brush and learn how to effectively use the shift key to remove colors from difficult areas.

Let me know if you'd like more information.

Kind regards

Tony

Return to Area Treatment