cropping

Here you can discuss anything related to the Crop Tool
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

cropping

Postby Lino Gatt » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:10 pm

hi,
can i crop around rounded corners live naves for example, or around alcoves? I so please can you show how?

Thanks for the wonderful program.

Lino

Site Admin

Re: cropping

Postby admin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:11 am

Dear Lino,

I'm not quite sure what you want. If you want to have rounded corners around the edge of your picture, there are several effects in the "Borders" category that can do that.

Kind regards

Tony

Postby Lino Gatt » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:32 pm

Dear Tony
Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is what I want to do; cropping round a column or a semicircular ceiling, for example. Where do i find these border options?

Lino

Postby eadams » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:55 am

Lino Gatt wrote:Dear Tony
Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is what I want to do; cropping round a column or a semicircular ceiling, for example. Where do i find these border options?

Lino

Hello Lino,

I've read your original question and your reply that I quoted, but I still find it hard to understand what you want because of the terminology you are using. "Cropping" means cutting away parts of the image, but this is done by moving the edges of the image inwards and cutting off the parts of the image that are outside of the new edges. The result is a rectangular image that shows a part of the original image. Example:
Original image:
Example of crop 1.JPG
Example of crop 1.JPG (62.64 KiB) Viewed 10868 times

Cropped image:
Example of crop 2.JPG
Example of crop 2.JPG (23.88 KiB) Viewed 10868 times

Cropping an image does not make rounded corners.

What you can do is apply an effect that will add a border around your image. Some borders may have rounded corners like this one:
Example of crop 3.JPG
Example of crop 3.JPG (50.87 KiB) Viewed 10868 times

As you can see, a border doesn't change the rectangular nature of the image, it merely covers up the edges in a decorative way. It does not follow the lines of anything depicted in the image (like the naves or alcoves you mentioned).

To me it sounds like you want to make a selection around part of your image because you talk about "cropping around rounded corners" in the image.

What exactly is it that you want to do? Do you want to replace the background in your image? If you explain more clearly what the end result is supposed to look like, it will be easier to help you.

Postby eadams » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:59 am

I just wanted to add another example. You can select part of your image and replace it with something else, put it on a different background, etc. In the image below I selected the sky and made it black.
Example of crop 4.JPG
Example of crop 4.JPG (47.04 KiB) Viewed 10868 times

Postby Lino Gatt » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:48 pm

Dear Tony and Eadams

Thanks for your reply. I see by the examples that it is impossible for me to crop around images; for example, if I wanted to go around a church dome or steeple and cut off (crop) the excess I would be left with the church only including the steeple and the dome, the rest would be "cut off". It would be as if I printed out a photo and, with a pair of scissors cut around the church. Most probably I can't do it digitally with Smart Photo Editor. I thank you just the same. You have been extremely helpful.

Lino

Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:14 am

Dear Lino,

That's right, there's no way to print out something that physically cuts the paper! The best you can do is replace it with white or something else, which can be done with SPE.

Kind regards

Tony

Postby Lino Gatt » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:19 pm

Dear Tony

Thanks again

Lino

Return to Crop Tool