Effects: Custom Artistic Image Treatment

Here you can discuss anything related to Image Treatment
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Effects: Custom Artistic Image Treatment

Postby wapperdude » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:09 pm

Hello,
Brand new to Smart Photo Editor. Having trouble moving beyond the initial tutorials. My background includes Affinity Photo and Topaz Labs. That is to say, I'm familiar with concept of layers, masks, exposure, contrast, etc. What I like to do is create custom interpretation of my photo images. I've seen the Effects Gallery and it has great deal to offer. I've also explored the Effects Editor...interesting tool. Apparently, I'm not good with math, that is, 2+2=4.

So, bottom line, how do I create complex effects as shown in the gallery? How do I take the photo and give it an impressionist effect that shows brush strokes where I control those strokes, e.g., length, width, opacity, direction? Where to start? How to proceed?

Thank you.

Site Admin

Re: Effects: Custom Artistic Image Treatment

Postby admin » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:34 pm

Hi Wrapperdude!

The best place to start to learn how to create your own effects is in these forums. The effect creator forum can get you started. Pinned to the top are some videos and a quick start guide.

Kind regards,

Tony

Postby Richard Briggs » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:32 am

Hi, I like your comment... "What I like to do is create custom interpretation of my photo images". That is EXACTLY what I use SPE for and have found nothing that comes close to enabling me to do this. At least, easily. My main post processing software is Photoshop Elements. Then, sometimes, I move onto creating 'interpretations' of my original photo using SPE.

I have dabbled with the effects editor and worked out how it worked but came to the conclusion that I could create almost anything I wanted using combinations of existing effects (600+ currently), layering them and using their individual customisation options. You can add layer upon layer using masking etc. In this way you come up with a result that is truly unique to yourself.

However, unlike Photoshop Elements, I do not believe there is any equivalent of brushes that you can use to 'paint' on an effect such as brush strokes etc.

Richard

Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:41 am

This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but if you choose and effect and instead of selecting OK, select "OK, Mask Area" you can paint the effect in or out in certain regions.

Return to Image Treatment