Using what is termed "layers".

Here you can discuss anything related to Image Treatment
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Using what is termed "layers".

Postby lesdmd » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:03 pm

I've been playing with the trial software and if I understand the process correctly each time I apply an "effect" from the "gallery" and confirm it, it is saved at the top of the window as a nondestructive layer. This is all fine and good, but I have not found a way to apply layer effects as I can in Photoshop. In other words, is there some way to designate a mode on these layers such as "screen" , "overlay", "lighthen", "darken", etc. and then to vary the opacity and hence the effect created. As designed, it appears that the effects are all or nothing. I understand the process of masking, but this is tedious and usually intended to be specific rather than global.
I suppose I could create a duplicate of the original file and open it as a composite where I have more flexbility, but this is very clumsy.

While I am writing, a completely different issue: The effects editor and the use of "nodes" has remained completely opaque to me; although I confess I have not spent much time there. Some sort of written or video tutorial would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Site Admin

Re: Using what is termed "layers".

Postby admin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:51 am

Hi Lesmd,

Let me deal with changing the opacity and the blending mode separately:

Re Opacity: For most effects there is a slider called the Master Fade slider, which in most cases is equivalent to opacity. (It's not opacity in, for example, a border, where it reduces the size of the border rather than cross fade the border which wouldn't make sense as there's nothing behind the border). However, the Master Fade slider isn't available once you've applied your effect. I'll prioritise adding that in as soon as I can.

Re blending modes: This is one you can do through the effects editor: Once you've applied your effect, right click on the tab and choose manual edit. Then if you can find a node at or near the Effect Output on the right hand side of the network with a name ending in Merge, you can double click on it and change the blending mode. If a merge node doesn't exist, you'll have to drag one in and connect it so that the effect input goes into the top input, the node that goes into the effect output goes into the bottom input, and it's output goes into the effect output. You can then change it's blending mode. Obviously, this isn't super quick! I could add it as a direct feature if it was commonly requested. So who else would like it?

Re effects editor: We are just starting the process of producing video tutorials on the effects editor.

Tony

Re: Using what is termed "layers" - add blending modes

Postby lesdmd » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Re blending modes: This is one you can do through the effects editor: Once you've applied your effect, right click on the tab and choose manual edit. Then if you can find a node at or near the Effect Output on the right hand side of the network with a name ending in Merge, you can double click on it and change the blending mode. If a merge node doesn't exist, you'll have to drag one in and connect it so that the effect input goes into the top input, the node that goes into the effect output goes into the bottom input, and it's output goes into the effect output. You can then change it's blending mode. Obviously, this isn't super quick! I could add it as a direct feature if it was commonly requested. So who else would like it?

If I put on a disguise, may I vote "yes" twice? ;)

Site Admin

Re: Using what is termed "layers".

Postby admin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:45 am

As long as you pay for two copies. ;)

Return to Image Treatment