How to just erase surrounding backgroup?

Here you can discuss anything related to the erase tool
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

How to just erase surrounding backgroup?

Postby IAAF » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:26 pm

I just want to erase the black background from the photo - to be transparent. I don't want to 'replace' with anything. If you have to replace with something - I guess - white. But I only see a circle area to select with which doesn't get into corners well so is the trick that you have to make picture large and use much smaller white circle?

But I guess my actual question is how to remove color without replacing it with another color - is it possible to make all the unwanted background transparent?
Attachments
wilson.png
wilson.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 8544 times

Re: How to just erase surrounding backgroup?

Postby eadams » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:51 pm

No, I don't think you can make that area transparent and save the file.

If you search in the forum for "transparency" you will find posts asking for that functionality, and the answer was that SPE doesn't support transparency.

Postby IAAF » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:30 pm

but it is possible to change background to black or white?

So to do this the image will have to be greatly enlarged and then just replace the unwanted background to just black or just white. Thanks. Maybe transparency will be available in a future update?

Postby eadams » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:28 pm

Yes, you can make the background black or white.

Click Select Area and select Background from the different choices. Then click on Confirm Selection and Browse Effects. In the Effects Gallery you will be presented with effects that SPE deems suitable for backgrounds.

The effect Background to black by Tony will make the background black
The effect Background to white by Tony will make the background white

Return to Erase Tool