Remove - Erasing tutorial

Here you can discuss anything related to the erase tool
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Remove - Erasing tutorial

Postby wbGrice » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:23 am

I have followed all instructions on the removal tool closely
.....unwanted power lines etc.......I can not get it to work.......is there not something that is easier to use like an adjustable soft brush to paint over the lines.......

Thanx

Site Admin

Re: Remove

Postby admin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:45 am

Hi,

Sure, you can use the erase brush to just paint over the lines. The telegraph wires tool should be quicker, just click along a few points on the line, then double click to finish. If you still can't get it to work, you could post a screenshot of your problem here, and I can try and help some more.

Tony

Postby wbGrice » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:33 am

Hi Tony:

Followed your instructions still can't get wire removed also want to remove lamp post's here is the photo to test.....maybe sweep by step answer will help this dusty old fart to succeed
Thank you.....Bill
Attachments
Testfilewires.jpg
Testfilewires.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 34377 times

Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:07 am

Hi Bill,

This picture does take a little bit of work to get it working well.

To remove the power lines:

Click on the erase telegraph tool.
Zoom in so you can see the wires nice and large
Click on one end of a wire
Click on a couple of points along the wire
Double click on the end of the wire
Move your mouse out of the picture to see the result. If you can still see bits of wire, then press undo and do it again being careful to make sure the yellow line completely covers the wire.

Repeat the above for all the wires.

Some tips:
+ Because the trees have lots of detail in them, I found it worked best to leave the wires in when the branches get dense and just remove the wires where they were very obvious against a flat background. You should see in wires1.jpg that my erase marks don't completely cover all of the wires.
+ Make sure you're nicely zoomed in so you can see what you are doing
+ Check often as it's easy to miss a bit of wire. Undoing and starting a wire from scratch is much easier than tweaking the wire afterwards.

To remove the telegraph pole:
Change to the erase brush
Draw completely over the pole.
To get the best result I split the pole into five sections using the area split tool:
Click on the area split tool, and carve the blue area into five sections by drawing five separate slices that go all the way through the blue area.
You can then drag each of the red areas to slightly different places to get all the main features to match (from the bottom: the snow line, the slope of the roof, and the branches of the trees).
Attachments
wires2.jpg
Erase marks
wires2.jpg (565.64 KiB) Viewed 34370 times
wires1.jpg
Result
wires1.jpg (594.7 KiB) Viewed 34370 times

Re: Remove - Erasing tutorial

Postby gabylynneb » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:28 pm

I understand erasing the object. But I can't get it to stay permanent. When ever I go back over it they all reappear.

Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:41 am

Where do you go back over it? If you save your result or add another change, do they stay gone?

Tony

Postby gabylynneb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:30 pm

even after saving it. When my mouse goes over the area they are active again

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:30 am

If you look at the saved file on your hard disk, are the objects that you removed gone? If you, for instance, add some text on the top, are the saved objects still gone?

Return to Erase Tool