Fixing overexposed sky

This forum describes all of the different filters available in Smart Photo Editor, you can ask questions about them too.
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Fixing overexposed sky

Postby LillianR » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:53 am

Hi,
I am trying to fix a over exposed sky. I selected the Select tool and choose 'sky'

I used the brush or tool to draw around the sky and was quite happy with some of the results. However I can see where I have drawn around the car to make sure all of the sky is coloured in.

Can you please tell me am I using the correct tool to fix the sky? Do you have a tutorial on how to fix skies?

Thank you

Site Admin

Re: Fixing overexposed sky

Postby admin » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:43 am

Hi Lillian,

Sounds like you are almost there! Once you have confirmed an effect you like, you can then go back and tweak your selection by clicking on the black and white picture of your selection in the tab at the top of the application. This will let you change the slection while seeing the result it has on your effect, so you can add and remove areas until you are happy with the results. Remember the Edge Finder brush automatically finds edges. Draw closely round your object and you'll see the brush automatically avoids leaking into it. If you still have problems, you could post a picture here and I could give more hints.

Tony

Postby LillianR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:13 am

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your quick reply. I want to use this photo for something red. I want to add a bit of mystery with a vinyette maybe after I have the sky as I want it. I will try and post the one I just worked on to try and fix the sky. It did leak into the top of the truck and I am not quite sure how to avoid the mirrors at the side if the truck. I will post the original to. I am sorry I do not know how to upload pics to shwo you. I clicked on the img and nothing to upload. I then put them onto Flickr but cannot see how to put in the BB code.

Hope you can help me so I can fix this. Many thanks and much appreciated.

Postby LillianR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:17 am

blue sky truck by Lillian Robinson Photography1, on Flickr

IMG_4943 by Lillian Robinson Photography1, on Flickr

I may have worked it out. The original is the one with the blown out sky of course :) :)

Postby LillianR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:39 am

I still have the sky bleeding into the top of the truck. I know it is only slight but I cannot get it how I would like it?

Thank you so much.

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:30 am

Hi Lillian,

Personally, I think what you've got looks great. The white at the top of the truck is a reflection of the sky, so if you darkened the sky you'd expect to see the reflection darkened too. However, if you want to leave the top of the truck white, here are some tips: Use a very small brush and zoom in (using the Pan/Zoom control) to Add or Remove from your selection, that way you can be more accurate. The smaller you make the brush, the more precise you can be. The brush works best if you drag it along an edge.

Hope that helps.

Tony

Postby LillianR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:13 am

HI Tony,

I made the brush smaller as you suggested and the pic I enlarged so I could see what I was doing and I was pleased with the result.

Thank you for your promt replies to questions. I love the program. :)

Return to Help On The Filters