Creating Backgrounds and Skies

This forum describes all of the different filters available in Smart Photo Editor, you can ask questions about them too.
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Creating Backgrounds and Skies

Postby eadams » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:53 pm

Using the select area tool I can define certain default areas (such as Background, Subject or Sky) or I can define an Anything Else area which I can call anything I like.

If I define a Background area and opt to view the Gallery for that selection, I can scroll through 589 pages of effects. However, if I use the search to search for "skies" or "sky" I find nothing. Sometimes I do want to see how a sky background would look, and am very frustrated by not finding any.

If I define a Sky area and opt to view the Gallery for that selection, I can also scroll through 589 pages of effects. Most of the effects displayed on the first few pages are really skies, but not all. If I search for "sky" or "skies" I find many, but I don't think I find all of the available skies.

(If I define an Anything Else area, I do find skies if I search for "sky". This makes it a much more useful option than defining a Background area.)

This behavior is very strange.

Two questions:
1. If a filter author creates a sky replacement effect or a background effect, how does SPE differentiate between the two? Does the filter author tag it somehow?

2. If I painstakingly define a Background area and then decide it should have been defined as a Sky area, can I somehow redefine the selection I made as a Sky selection, or do I really have to start over and recreate the whole selection from scratch?

Site Admin

Re: Creating Backgrounds and Skies

Postby admin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:41 am

1. The effect is stored under the name of the selection name the author specified.

2. To rename a selection, click on the little drop down arrow next to the selection name in the selection editing screen.

Postby eadams » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:29 pm

Thanks. How do I find the "selection editing screen"?

Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:32 am

The selection editing screen is where you adjust selections. You can edit any selection at any time by clicking on the black and white picture of it in the tabs at the top of the software.

Tony

Postby eadams » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:29 pm

That's what I thought but...

2. To rename a selection, click on the little drop down arrow next to the selection name in the selection editing screen.

I can't find a drop down arrow. Is this where I am supposed to find it? It might be very obvious, but for the life of me, I can't see it.

select area edit.JPG
select area edit.JPG (50.65 KiB) Viewed 9248 times

Postby DennB » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:24 pm

You are not alone in this, I can't find it either???

Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:44 am

How strange. It comes up on my computer, in the place where you can see it in the attachment. To see it I just loaded a picture, pressed Select Area and chose an area type, although it should be there for any time you select an area. Is it missing for everyone? Eadams, could you try clicking around that area to see if it's just invisible, or if it's missing? What OS are you running?

Tony
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (83.16 KiB) Viewed 9240 times

Postby DennB » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:17 pm

OK, I understand now. It's the little box next to the "Selecting Area". Perhaps your monitor is too contrasty or dark or "theme" you are using Eve. It's a very dark grey on grey and if your screen is too black it might make it difficult to see? It was obvious in Tony's screen shot. It was very faint on my screen til I sat up straight, my screen (older monitor) appears darker when I slouch in my chair. :lol:

Postby Arwin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:48 pm

I also don't have that dropdownbox..

Windows 7 64bit, SPE 1.20.6 Studio 64bit
Attachments
Select Area.jpg
Select Area.jpg (36.54 KiB) Viewed 9235 times
Check my Instagram if you have time, dedicated to my edits done in Smart Photo Editor!
Feel free to follow ;)

Postby DennB » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Here's my screen shot
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (34.22 KiB) Viewed 9233 times

Next

Return to Help On The Filters