Effects Deleting Local Effects How To

This forum discusses how you can create your own effects
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Effects Deleting Local Effects How To

Postby Burcham » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:33 pm

Effects Deleting: How To Delete Created Effects ?

Hi I was trying the create effects part of the program, not really knowing what I was doing. I created 3 effects all with the same name and (local) 2 don't do anything at all, and 1 just changes the color. My question is How do I delete these effects, as they are just junk, I can't seem to find anything on deleting a local effect after it is published.

Thanks
Dave

Site Admin

Re: Effects Deleting Local Effects How To

Postby admin » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:05 am

The app doesn't currently support deleting effect. However, you can delete all your local effects by deleteing the contents of the directory: C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\PhotoEditor\user.

Tony

Postby Riverbud » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:05 am

admin wrote:The app doesn't currently support deleting effect. However, you can delete all your local effects by deleteing the contents of the directory: C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\PhotoEditor\user.

Tony

Hi I tried to find this local directory to delete my local effects but could not find it. Is this with in my Reg and not the directory. If there is no way to delete old and bad effects then the list is going to grow quite large for every one who is testing the program.

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:54 am

Hi Riverbud,

On older versions of windows it's called: C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Application Data\PhotoEditor\user

Our intention is for there to be very large numbers of effects that is growing larger all the time and concentrate on improving the search capabilities so you can easily find ones that you like. Similar to Google, it doesn't matter if it returns millions of web pages as long as the ones you need most often are right at the top.

Tony

Postby Riverbud » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:28 pm

admin wrote:Hi Riverbud,

On older versions of windows it's called: C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Application Data\PhotoEditor\user

Our intention is for there to be very large numbers of effects that is growing larger all the time and concentrate on improving the search capabilities so you can easily find ones that you like. Similar to Google, it doesn't matter if it returns millions of web pages as long as the ones you need most often are right at the top.

Tony

I understand what you are tiring for, but if every user is tiring to learn how to use the create effects and they make a lot of mistakes we are going to end up with to many bad ones to have to go through before we find a good one That works and I think people are going to get a dislike for the program because of it. If a user could delete the only ones that he made that are bad it would help everyone. I know I have made a few but I have only used the Local until I learn the effects better. By the way I do love the program.
Thanks
Riverbud

Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:44 am

Hi Riverbud,

I know what you are saying, and I agree a delete function should definitely be added. In addition I'm going to add some functionality that stops effects being published if they completely replace the original image. This would mean effects that are just a gradient or a different picture would never need deleting in the first place.

Tony

Postby Burcham » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:32 am

Hey Riverbud,
I use windows xpsp3, and my user name is "user" not very imaganiative I know. Anyway here is where I found my "effects" files, and deleted them.

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\PhotoEditor\user

If I remember right, there is about three or four files for each effect you create. If there is one effect you want to keep, you may have to be sure to keep your deleted files in the "trashcan" until you are through, because you may need to replace some.

I finally found the files by this method.
1. create a new simple effect, and name it something strange such as "yyyqqqfff" and note the time on the computer clock when you publish local.
2. Then go to windows explorer and search your hard drive for files of that name, use wildcard, "*" for the extension and you can check by time modified to see if there are any other files associated with the effect but don't have the same name are listed.
3. All of the effects that you have created should be in the same directory.

In the directory that Tony was telling me to use, however having a user name of "user" was throwing me off some. Anyway they are where he said they would be, I deleted them, and have, or had a clean slate to work with.

Hope this Helps
Dave

Postby eadams » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Almost two years have passed since the last post in this discussion. Is the status still the same (no way to delete local effects from within the program)? This would be a useful feature to have.

Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:07 am

Yes, I'm afraid that isn't a feature we've prioritised yet.

Tony

Return to Creating Effects