can't get node window to open

This forum discusses how you can create your own effects
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

can't get node window to open

Postby wyndham » Sun May 27, 2012 8:35 pm

I choose a pic open and choose an effect(watercolor), I then choose effect creator and the image goes to 100 to 200 % and the node window never appears.
If I do the same but choose manual edit at the watercolor thumbnail in the upper right top, the imager again goes to full size and the edit nodes window never shows up.
BUT..... as i scroll over the thumbnail watercolor to the original the node window briefly flashes moving from from left position to off screen left.
I had it working the other day but I must have hit a setting or something to make it not available.
I am using the dl for learning before i purchase.
Please help this is a fine program if I can learn it. Wyndham

Site Admin

Re: can't get node window to open

Postby darrenp » Mon May 28, 2012 10:45 am

Hi wyndham,

Many thanks for your post.

Can I just double check which effect you are using. Is it 'watercolor' by Tony?

If I load an image then go to the effects gallery and select the category 'artist', I can choose watercolor as a category and then choose this effect.
Once I've done this, I can then click on the 'effect editor' tool and it works fine in that I get two nodes -- 'effect input' and 'effect output' -- on my screen. If I want to edit the actual nodes of the watercolor effect, I can click with the right button on the tab (as you said) and select 'manual edit'. This all seems to work fine for me. Could you try the above again and see if it is still a problem. If it is, I'll take a closer look.

Many thanks,

:Darren.

Postby wyndham » Mon May 28, 2012 6:08 pm

Yes it was watercolor by tony but... the computer at home, which I also installed the trial version works correctly. This leads me to believe that I inadvertently entered a keystroke that causes the problem. I tried several computer restarts but the next is an uninstall/reinstall of SPE. What ever the problem it is tied to somewhere in the software that enlarges the image to full screen size.
Wyndham

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue May 29, 2012 9:35 am

I think what might be happening is that you have minimised the node editor by dragging the sizing handle to the left of the app. To fix it,try going into the effect editor, then moving your mouse to the left edge of the application and see if a white line appears. Then you need to drag the line a few inches to the right to get the node editor to appear again.

Tony

Postby wyndham » Tue May 29, 2012 3:42 pm

Tony you are correct on the node bar being too far to the left, But.... for what ever reason I can get the bar at the correct place but it does not drag to the right. So is there a keyboard shortcut tmove the node bar to the right I have tried right arrow then with ctrl or shift but no luck or..... a setup file, a "Dat" or "Dll" I can reset or delete to go back to startup at install.
I can see the bar but can not click and grab.
It' not a big deal and I'd love to have a gpu under the hood. Kinda like "Top Gear" playing with the worlds great cars, do you watch? It's a hoot.
Thanks Wyndham

Site Admin

Postby darrenp » Tue May 29, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi Wyndham,

Try moving the bar a lot to the right. Please let us know how you get on.

Postby wyndham » Tue May 29, 2012 6:02 pm

Darren, for what ever reason the node bar will not move when I get the bar and holding the mouse button down it will not move.
The cursor changes from a "+" to the double bar with left & right arrows and holding the mouse button, which is standard on all bars like this it should capture the bar and move it.
Is there a keystroke alternative?It seems to be locked in the magnify routine the hover over the bar shows white but it won't grab the bar.
Hope this helps, Wyndham

Site Admin

Postby darrenp » Tue May 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi Wyndham,

Many thanks for your message. All the behaviour you describe is what I would expect. However, since the sidebar has a certain width (about 450 pixels), the dragging of the vertical bar needs to be quite far to the right (about 200-300 pixels) before it will 'jump' to its preferred size. Have you definitely tried moving this far to the right when dragging the bar? The bar does not move immediately. (I agree that it should move immediately -- we'll address this very soon).

Many thanks and fingers crossed this resolves the issue,

Postby wyndham » Wed May 30, 2012 2:44 am

Darren, I'll check this out tomorrow at the shop. It's quite possible that i did not drag far enough since I was expecting the node bar to attach and move with the drag. I'll let you know more a bit later.
Wyndham

Site Admin

Postby darrenp » Wed May 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Hi Wyndham,

Many thanks for trying this out. Looking forward to hearing back from you about how it goes.

Cheers,

Next

Return to Creating Effects