Moving Gallery effects elements

Ask any questions about searching for effects, or any of the other gallery features. Questions about specific effects should go in the Effects forum
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Moving Gallery effects elements

Postby Learningful » Tue May 10, 2016 1:51 pm

I'm new to Smart Photo Editor. I've applied an effect from the Gallery (multiple tree branches overlayed on my image). I would like to re-position the tree branches slightly in relation to the underlying image. I can't seem to find a way to select the tree branches independent of the rest of the image. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Moving Gallery effects elements

Postby eadams » Tue May 10, 2016 4:44 pm

What is the name of the effect you used?

Postby Learningful » Tue May 10, 2016 5:09 pm

Seagull in the sky 01 by Imagery8Photography

Postby eadams » Tue May 10, 2016 10:02 pm

The effect you chose adds an image of black branches on a white background to your image in multiply mode.

To make the changes you describe I would edit the effect to allow the branch image to be moved and scaled.

First apply the effect to your image.
At the top right of your screen you will see a thumbnail representing your original image and a thumbnail representing the Seagull in the Sky 01 effect that you applied.
Right-click on the thumbnail of the effect and from the dropdown list that appears, select Manual Edit.
The Effect Editor will appear, allowing you to change the effect. It will look like this:

Seagull in the sky 01.JPG
Seagull in the sky 01.JPG (130.09 KiB) Viewed 6720 times

As you can see, there is a Multiply Merge node which combines your image with the image of the branches. You can replace this node with a Place and Merge Node, which will allow you to make transformations to the branch image.
Select the Merge node with your mouse and delete it by pressing the delete key on your keyboard.
Under the words "Effect Editor" select the Combine tab.
You will then see the possible nodes used for combining images.
Select the Place and Merge node with your mouse and drag it to the area below which contains the nodes used in the effect.
Drag connecting arrows as shown in the screenshot below.
You will see the branch image on top of your own image and you can move it or scale it by dragging the corners with the mouse. You can also rotate it if you want by dragging the circle that appears when you hover over it with your mouse.

Seagull in the sky 01 edit.JPG
Seagull in the sky 01 edit.JPG (255.85 KiB) Viewed 6720 times

To make the branch image transparent again, you have to change the mode of the Place and Merge node to Multiply. Double click on the node with your mouse and change the PlaceAndMerge Type to Multiply.

Seagull in the sky 01 edit 1JPG.JPG
Seagull in the sky 01 edit 1JPG.JPG (43.15 KiB) Viewed 6720 times

If you want, you can save this changed effect by clicking on the Publish button. If you do this I recommend that you save it for your use only. It will then be an effect available for you to use on your own computer but won't be uploaded to the online Effect Gallery for others to use.

Once you click on the Effect Gallery symbol at the top right of your screen you will exit the editing mode and you can add further effects if you like.

I hope this helps.

Postby Learningful » Wed May 11, 2016 4:47 pm

Thanks for the tutorial -- it worked perfectly! Much appreciated.

Return to The Gallery Panel