Saving my selected area

Ask any questions about selecting areas
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Saving my selected area

Postby Larry Leton » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:06 pm

Once I have my selected area brushed in and and brought out the selected background, how can I SAVE just the selected area, so I may simply drop in ANOTHER NEW background, and another, without having to re-create all of the TIME CONSUMING selected brush strokes for each NEW background image? IS there a method? If so, please help with the tab navigation. Thank you.

Site Admin

Re: Saving my selected area

Postby admin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:35 am

Dear Larry,

Here's how:

Do an underlay composite as you would normally.
Right click on the Composite tab at the top and choose Manual Edit.
Double click on the node that says Load image and click on the ... button to choose a new file.
If you click on Place And Merge you can move and scale your new underlay.

Kind regards

Tony

Postby Larry Leton » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:37 am

Tony~ Thank you so very much! Huge time saving tip! Could I please indulge you with another question? I enjoy using composites to change background scenery of my photographs and especially when doing portraits. Could you HELP ME with a navigation process to enable me to KEEP the "flying HAIR SWIRLS" that so often surround the hair outline. My grandkids have CURLY hair! Thank you in advance!!!

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:55 am

Flyaway hair is often quite tricky to get right. One trick you can do is to make sure they are infront of a contrasting background (ideally flat), because camouflaged objects are extremely difficult to separate. Then over select the hair so it's definitely all included (plus backgrounds), and nibble back away from the other side using the soft edge brush. Because the background is simple, it's much easier than trying to select the hair which can be quite complicated.

Hope that helps

Kind regards

Tony

Return to The Select Area Panel