Is there a way to modify a selection?

Ask any questions about selecting areas
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Is there a way to modify a selection?

Postby Toasty » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:09 pm

I've made a selection but once I start to see what different effects would do, I notice that I didn't quite get the selection right, so I want to tweak it a little. Is there a way to do this? I can see that it remembers my selection (I gave it a nice name, and it offers me the option to search for effects using this name), but I can't see how to edit it.

Re: Is there a way to modify a selection?

Postby Toasty » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:32 pm

Aaah you can do it once you've actually applied an effect.
I hadn't gotten that far as I could see just from the previews that my selection wasn't right.

As a slight aside - this is interesting when you have a chain of effects, then go back to an earlier effect in the chain and change the selection area. It then affects the area for all the other effects applied to the same named selection area, which makes sense.

Matt

Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:22 am

Also you can edit the selection before applying an effect by pressing "Back". Obviously this wasn't obvious, so how about I rename the button something like: "Edit Selection"?

N.B. Did you get that the brush selector (and lasso) intelligently find the edges of objects?

T

Postby Toasty » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Yeah I must have completely missed that even though it's obvious now.
I did try fairly hard before resorting to posting here, so am a bit confused how I missed the back button!

I think perhaps I wasn't used to the browser style back/forward interface at the time, though it's something I do like.

Maybe see how many others are similarly confused before considering to change it.
You might well find it's just me ;)

Postby Toasty » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:44 pm

admin wrote:N.B. Did you get that the brush selector (and lasso) intelligently find the edges of objects?

Yeah, and it works really well most of the time. It is a smart brush! :)

I struggle with it a little sometimes with the actual border between two things. Often the border area is a different colour to either side, and the brush usually decides not to include it, which I can see is something you'd want sometimes and not others. Usually playing with the strength gives me what I want, though it's a bit cumbersome to have to go over to the brush slider, change the strength a little, see what effect it has on the smart brush for the area I'm trying to select, then keep repeating until I get what I want. Is there a keyboard shortcut to alter strength maybe? That would save me quite a bit of time selecting areas precisely.

While I'm on the subject of the smart brush, one thing I'm finding is that I only ever use the bottom 20% of the 'size' slider. Even when zoomed in to a picture to make a more precise selection (actually usually to 'tidy up' a broader selection I've made) the brush size 'grows' because it's fixed relative to the picture not the zoomed-level, so quite often I'm struggling to get the right (small) size of brush. Basically - a bit more granularity and a bit easier control over the small end of the brush sizes would be fab.
(Also the tiniest size of brush doesn't seem to do anything, even if 'airbrush' is selected and strength etc are on full.)

Return to The Select Area Panel