Selection.??

Ask any questions about selecting areas
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Selection.??

Postby Mozzy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:37 pm

Probably one of the most frequent features I would like to use is indeed the select an area in an image. Mostly what I wish to do is apply an effect then exclude certain areas. Have done this fine using the red. All well and good. But I am looking for an OK button to remove that area from my effect. As an example I don't want to sharper a blurred background and may only wish to use an effect for a really small area.

It is the how to accept it and move on. I know I'm missing the wood for the trees and would appreciate if someone could if they have time to tell me?

Many thanks

Mozzy

Site Admin

Re: Selection.??

Postby admin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi Mozzy

I'm not quite sure I get what you mean, but let's see if this helps:

After you find an effect you like, press "Ok, Mask Area"
By default you remove stuff from the effect, but if you hit "Add To Selection" immediately, it will remove the effect and let you add it selectively.

Is that what you wanted?

Tony

Postby Mozzy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:50 am

It is Tony and thank you. For example if I apply an effect to an image, would I then use mask or in SPE should I mask first before applying effect? And the wee niggle that is bothering me, is once a mask is applied I cannot see anyway to confirm, as in a 'OK mask that area.'

Mozzy

Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:44 am

Hi Mozzy,

It doesn't make any difference if you mask before or after applying the effect. Using Select Area then browsing the gallery is useful if you want to select an object then see effects that apply to it. Hitting "Ok, Mask Area", is good if you just want to remove bits of the effect.

The OK and Cancel buttons are a user setting (because they don't actually have any effect on your image). To make them appear go to File > Settings > Advanced and check Left panel is hideable.

Tony

Postby Mozzy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:17 pm

Top man Tony as always.

Mozzy

Return to The Select Area Panel