Deterioration of Digitized Analog Slides

Here you can discuss anything related to the Home Panel (the first one you come to)
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Deterioration of Digitized Analog Slides

Postby joel39 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:50 pm

I was congratulating myself on (accidentally) using Ektochrome film when I took analog slides of my 22 years in the foreign service.

Then I did something very stupid in digitizing the slides. Using an X-tend-a-scope digitizer connected to my Canon A95 camera, I pointed the whole apparatus directly into an incandescent light bulb, thinking the light bulb was a good substitute for sunlight. Not so! The light bulb left a big splotch in the digitized image.

I thought that using the technique for editing a flaw of the sort described would let me correct my gaff.

Not so, because over the years, the analog slide had collected tiny amounts of dust and dirt, so that when I correct a certain area, the correction is mixed in with dust and dirt, the presence of which I discovered with the magnifying glass I must use due to a condition called nystegmus.

There is an answer to my dilemma, I am sure, but only a professional photographer would know what it is...or not.

Perhaps I must settle for a reduction in the flaw, rather than a complete recovery.

PS: A friend on Jalbum.net called the self-created flaw to my attention. Some really stunning photos were seriously damaged by my "clever" use of a light bulb for illumination.

Re: Deterioration of Digitized Analog Slides

Postby eadams » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:03 pm

Hi joel39,

I am sorry you made the described mistake which adversely affected the quality of your photos. Is it possible to re-digitize the images, or were the slides themselves damaged in the process? I know nothing about analog slides or how the digitizer you used works, so I apologize if my question doesn't make sense.

Site Admin

Re: Deterioration of Digitized Analog Slides

Postby admin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:59 am

Could you also post the digitised version here? Sometimes dirt and other flaws can be fixed digitally.

Tony

Return to The Home Panel