jpg, tiff, raw?

This is the place to ask any questions about the Smart Photo Editor community
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

jpg, tiff, raw?

Postby Mozzy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Sorry to trouble you, but have searched but cannot find the answer. Usually when I work an image in PSE I save in PSD and jpg; the latter not much larger than one meg roughly 1300 x 900 9ish) for uploading to various places.

I've dropped into SPE a large TIFF file and it seemed to just freeze in panic, hence most I work on are the one meg size. Clearly in jpg at that size degradation of the jpg image follows quite quickly. I use a large four year old MAC for my image processing so it is fairly fast.

Is there a 'rule of thumb' that says what format works best for processing in SPE? I'd be really pleased to know.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Mozzy

Site Admin

Re: jpg, tiff, raw?

Postby admin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:34 am

Hi Mozzy,

You should be able to work with pictures from most consumer cameras quite comfortably (i.e up to about 18 mega pixels). Where SPE needs a lot of memory is when you're selecting areas of large pictures. How big was the tiff you tried to load?

Tony

Postby Mozzy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:06 pm

About 180meg. Entirely my fault as it was not fair to the software.

Sorry, didn't finish my post as er-indoors yelled at me … "HUN it's shopping supermarket day!"

I've been trying out Photomatix Essentials but sadly it fails greatly thus far compared to SPE. What I've now done when working on RAW in PSE and when taken as far as … I now save reduced size in TIFF which now gives me a decent 15meg file size to work with.

I do though find when saving as a TIFF from SPE it hangs forever when rendering the final saved image. Perhaps I need to read the TIFF save options.

Loving this SPE thing :)

Mozzy

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:25 am

Hi Mozzy,

Some of the effects in the gallery are very processor intensive, specifically the ones that do smoothing/sharpening by Tom, and they can take a long time to save. Unfortunately there's no way round this, they need a lot of CPU cycles to do their job well.

Tony

Postby Mozzy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks Tony; I am pretty certain I have it sorted now. Still first class brilliant software though :)

Mozzy

Return to The Smart Photo Editor community