Coloring black and white photos

This is the place to ask any questions about the Smart Photo Editor community
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Coloring black and white photos

Postby lizzylala » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:13 pm

I have used another software by this company but it does not do coloring, which I need. I emailed this company and they told me to download this Smart Photo Editor. Little confusing. Short and sweet, does it do coloring or not? I need to color some black and white photos ASAP.

Re: Coloring black and white photos

Postby Arwin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Hi Lizzylala,

Just load your photo in SPE and click on the Gallery in the right top corner, on the left you will see now the Gallery Categories. Hover above the category "Color - Vibrance, Black and White.." and choose for "Black And White", now you see all the effects that are created with black and white in mind.

Just confirm the effect you like and youre ready to save your photo in Black and White..

Hope this will help.
Arwin
Check my Instagram if you have time, dedicated to my edits done in Smart Photo Editor!
Feel free to follow ;)

Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:04 am

Hi Lizzylala,

I'm afraid Arwin's method is only for turning a color photo to black and white, turning a black and white photo back to colour is a lot more difficult, but it can be done. The basic method is as follows:

1. Load your photograph
2. Click on Area Treatment
3. Select an area which is going to be all the same color using the brush. For large areas, I recommend going round the edge with the brush and using the fill tool to fill in the middle.
4. Use the temperature and tint sliders on the left to adjust the color of that area. Temperature selects how warm or cool the color is and tint controls greeness/purpleness.
5. Once you're happy with the color of that section, press New Area + to create a new area and repeat from step 3.

You can always go back to a previous area and adjust it if you want. Unfortunately for very complicated images this is going to get increasingly time consuming as you will have to select many areas. One tip is not to spend too long getting an accurate selection. The human eye finds it very difficult to spot where the edge of a colour is. There are also many tutorials on the internet of how to do this in Photoshop if you search for "adding color to black and white photos", but it's still a manual process.

Tony

Postby Arwin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:01 pm

How wrong can you read! :? You're totally right Tony, my mistake :lol:

Arwin
Check my Instagram if you have time, dedicated to my edits done in Smart Photo Editor!
Feel free to follow ;)

Return to The Smart Photo Editor community