Problem saving with Mac versions of SPE and Portrait Profess

Any crashes, places where the software didn't work as you expected, please let us know here.

Problem saving with Mac versions of SPE and Portrait Profess

Postby Phelon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:23 pm

I have 253 Mac applications and they all load, save, and work fine with Mac OS Mavericks--except TWO--and those are both from the same company, and named Smart Photo Editor and Portrait Professional. Problem starts when installing and an error message stating they are not from a Certified Developer. Mavericks gives a way around the problem after clicking on the "Error ? Mark" to learn how. After installing either of the two programs, they both work normally, until the user wants to save their work. Then saving is all manual, meaning the programs do not find or know the name of the original image. I personally have the latest iMac hardware and 17 or 18 Terabytes of file storage; of course, I have the latest up-to-date applications, and as I have said , they all work find except those from Anthropics, and this has started on October 23, 2013, when Apple came out with the new OS, Mavericks.

Now, I have discussed this with Tony, and he says they don't show that they are certified because I using an old program. Believe me, I'm using using the latest of everything. Tony also says the problem in saving is Mavericks fault, not theirs; their using the required Mac Tool Kit, but I'm not sure if the kit is up-to-date to work completely with Mavericks. Tony says they have also been able to reproduce the problems at Anthropics, but gave no indication if they would fix it. At first discussion, Tony says the saving on a Mac worked fine on their end, so quote "why try to fix something that ain't broke". So I just scratch my head at this problem not getting fixed. I love the program, given it as gifts, used it daily as my go-to program, but I find it terribly awkward trying to save in either Smart Photo Editor or Portrait Professional.

Remember, I've had this problem since Oct 23, when Mavericks came out; then I began the Forum Discussion pointing out the bugs. That's been quite a while; normally, I would have had many more image submissions, plus my own work getting further transformed with SPE, my favorite, and I'm a heavy hitter with having some of the best software, onOne Suite 8, PS CC, Lightroom 5, DxO Optics 9, DxO Viewpoint 2, and 250 others.

SPE is continuing to be a better program, and it leads me to wonder. Is it me that's only having the installation and saving problems with Anthropics' programs? I've been waiting for other Maverick users to post a bug complaint, but so far, no complaints. I've reinstalled both Mavericks and SPE, used an earlier version of SPE, all to no avail. So--logic says the problem is with Anthropics and few Mac users have not upgraded their OS, or don't use the program.

Phelon
Last edited by Phelon on Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Problem saving with Mac versions of SPE and Portrait Profess

Postby Mozzy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Phelon, just a suggestion if I may? Have you a wider audience to say what you have experienced? I say this as I find SPE wonderful and yes I use it daily on my iMac and thankfully the 64 bit version works perfectly now since Tony or whoever fixed the latest. I use SL on th eiMac so way behind you of course.

Is it worth bringing this one to the Apple communities? I have found any problem I had over the last four years with Apple, was fixed almost instantly.

I find mac stuff completely over rated and definately over priced but I'll not use windows again. I'm sure my friend you will tell me to 'sling my hook' and that I don't understand your problem. Actually I do which is why I 'think' it would be better shared with the Apple Community. I'll wager this is a very siomple issue.

When I had prolems with SPE I simply reverted to an earlier version which I saved in a hidden file on my iMac; it worked perfectly until the problem with the 64v bit one was solved.

I'll get my hat and coat and leave ever so quietly :oops:

Mozzy

Postby Phelon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:02 am

Naw, you stay around, Mozzy; I can even feed you and enjoy your company. I appreciate your suggestion to post the installing and save problems with Anthropics programs. Many times I, too, have found solutions to my computer problems by going to Google or other Internet browser.

I started early on the original Microsoft green screen, big box computers; moved right along to the early Mac computers, and developed some real-estate programs. That was fun, and it got my wife and I into RE investing. There were more apps for the PC, so I stayed with them for several years. Finally, I gave up, as it seemed like I was forever doing maintenance. After switching to Mac, I found I still needed some Window programs, so luckily Parallels was there to conveniently let me use both Mac and PC apps on the same computer. Through the years I have never been troubled with hackers and virus, like on the PC.

I enjoy a company located here in my hometown, Portland, Or, called onOne. Their latest software, which is absolutely wonderful, is called Perfect Photo Suite 8, and is six-gigabyles large. It, and along with my other software, has no trouble with Mavericks.

SPE-64 and Portrait Professional are much smaller programs, and I love them both, and since I use them so much, I want to have them working right. As I write I have the feeling that maybe it is hopefully something simple to fix, and I thank you for taking the time to write me.

Phelon

PS You can stay as long as you like. Enjoy your artistry!!

Postby Mozzy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:39 am

I really hope Phelon you can get / find a fix. Your obvious literacy means what you write is a pleasure to read, as I enjoyed reading your reply.

I signed up to onOne some years back, and on looking I have version three. I wanted the software to cut subjects out. Back then when I started out in photography I felt the only way forward was to replace every background! I've not actually used it through PSE9 for quite a long time now. Not cut any subject out either.

Thank you for a glimpse into your life, and I hope you can get sorted quickly.

My best to you

Mozzy

Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:54 am

Hi All,

Complaining to Apple won't help I'm afraid, as it's a problem with the toolkit we use called 'Qt'. You can see the discussion of the problem here. Luckily there might be a workaround, which I'm just in the middle of implementing. It will be a setting in SPE to switch to non-native dialogs, which apparently don't look as nice, but might fix the problem. I'll let you know when that's available. Thanks for your patience.

Tony

Postby Phelon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Hi Tony,

Found it interesting to read the discussion of the problem you posted here. Sounded like they were trying, but not yet getting there. Hopefully your workaround, when implemented, will do the trick. Maybe there have been some other techs writing about 10.9 and saving to original folder and file, and then, of course, adding the correct "pe" suffix. I and others will be thankfully waiting for your good work.

Phelon

Postby Phelon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:54 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for sending a Beta-30 version of 64-bit SPE that works just fine using the non-native version of saving. Also appreciate that you worked on the weekend to get it to me. Your support is first-class.

Although it's within the same company, Portrait Professional has the same saving problem. Can you instigate a fix for that program?

Thanks again for your help!

Phelon

Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi Phelon,

We're investigating a fix for PP. It's possible that Apple have fixed the problem, so in the meantime, you could try a check for updates for Mavericks itself to see if it fixes it.

Tony

Postby Phelon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi Tony,

Yes, Mavericks was updated in the last couple of days to OS X 10.9.1 (13B42). Their list of fixes did't show this problem and was not able to fix what we're after.

Phelon

Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:10 pm

Thanks for the update Phelon, I've forwarded it to the PP team. We're still investigating fixes on the PP side.

Tony

Return to Bugs