The Fang, Lake Turkana, Kenya

A place for anyone to put up any results they have got with the software.
Forum rules
To see all of any picture simply click on it and it will expand. You can upload images using the upload images attachment tab underneath the Submit button when you are creating a post.

The Fang, Lake Turkana, Kenya

Postby Peter Usher » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:47 am

The landscape is of one of a group of rocks off South Island in Lake Turkana in Northern Kenya. The Lake is about 150km in length and is also known as The Jade Sea. This is my first use of SPE and I have adjusted separately, the Sky, the rock and the water. The original photo has been edited in Affinity Photo. I am still to determine whether SPE is the go-to editing suite for this type of manipulation as I could have achieved a similar result with Landscape Pro with which I am more familiar.
Attachments
the Fang - Lake Turkana (NXPowerLite Copy).jpg
subject Landscape; Lake; Picture of Fang Rock off South Island, Lake Turkana, Nortern Kenya. This is my first SPE creation with adjustments to sky, rock and water. Initial editing in Afinity photo
the Fang - Lake Turkana (NXPowerLite Copy).jpg (591.9 KiB) Viewed 3149 times

Re: The Fang, Lake Turkana, Kenya

Postby Richard Briggs » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:29 am

Great photo. I use both SPE and Landscape Pro. My experience is that Landscape Pro always seems to result in am image that looks processed. I can always tell years afterwards. Whereas with SPE I somethimes have to remind myself that a sky, for example, was substituted by me 5 years ago. Having said this, some of the facilities in Landscape Pro are superb such as the separation of trees from sky. It is such a shame that SPE hasn't been developed over the years to include these things.

But, for all that, I view SPE as a tool for creating (hopefully) 'art'. In this respect I have found nothing that can touch it.

Richard

Postby eadams » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:03 pm

Very nice image. Regarding Landscape Pro - I only purchased the first version. I did try the trial of the next version, but around 99% of the photos I take are not landscapes, so I wasn't really using the program. I agree that Landscape Pro does a good job in separating trees from sky. I really prefer the brush tool in SPE though. I never got the knack of quickly and accurately selecting areas with the "pull the arrow" functionality in Landscape Pro. One thing I liked about Landscape Pro was that when I selected a moody, bright or sunset sky, the color of the entire image changed to match the sky which made the change look more realistic.

SPE is my favorite program for creating artistic effects. Sometimes I pass the time while listening to podcasts by just loading a simple image and scrolling through the gallery, applying several effects to transform the image into something that looks very artistic. The image can be any mediocre image, even one as simple as a text or a simple symbol.

I use other software (like Lightroom Photoshop) to do "normal" editing of my family photos, but nothing is as fun as SPE.

Postby Richard Briggs » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:17 am

You use SPE in exactly the same way as me it seems. I use Photoshop Elements and its RAW editor for 'normal' post processing and SPE to maybe take an image somewhere else.

The worrying thing is you can take any old rubbish photo and produce something worthwhile in SPE!

Richard

Postby william b. grice » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:48 am

What is that cable on left side of photo,? should remove it, Nice photo.

Postby Peter Usher » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:54 am

The "cable" is a fishing line. It adds context for me but it can easily be removed.

Return to Show Us Your Results