The big feature request discussion

Please let us know of absolutely anything you think is missing from Smart Photo Editor.

Re: The big feature request discussion

Postby eadams » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:21 am

The selected area is already saved - at least for the session and image you are working on.

When you hover the mouse cursor over the Gallery Icon in the upper right corner of your screen, you will see it says "Show gallery for:" and lists all the areas you have already defined. Just click on the area you want to apply an effect to or edit, and you will be able to apply effects to it. If instead you want to apply an effect to the entire image, click on the Gallery Icon as usual.

Hope this helps.

Postby pblanchard » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:29 pm

I don't see how to add items in my photo such as birds, balloons, kites, etc. in the composite mode. I'm not certain where to obtain these type of items.

Postby eadams » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:03 pm

Smart Photo Editor doesn't contain a library of graphical assets that you can add to your image in composite mode. I recommend that you search on the Internet for free images for you to use in your projects. Download the images to your computer and use the composite functionality in SPE to add them to your main image. Be sure to observe the terms of use of any image you download. In many cases, images are free to use for personal use but not for commercial purposes.

Postby clara parker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:10 pm

Tony wrote:Hi everyone,

What I thought would be useful is trying to generate a nice big list of important features that we could work on and then once we've got enough, I can create a poll so everyone gets a chance to vote on which features they think are important. This is for largish features; things like being able to turn off the animated rectangles are quick enough that I can just squeeze them in between other things. We've internally got a few things we think might be important, so I'll kick off with them, and anyone reply with other things they'd like to see.

+ Crop, rotate etc tools that are separate from the gallery
+ The ability to remove objects from a scene like telephone wires or unwanted street furniture
+ Some sort of photo organisation tools
+ When replacing skies (choose apply effect to an area then select the sky and you'll see what I mean), the ability to move the replacement sky around.
+ More control over the effects
+ Getting the system to learn your own individual style.
+ Show all the effects from a particular user
+ Quick access to your favorite effects (like recent effects, but you get to choose)
+ More social networking features, like being able to comment on particular effects, or send messages to users.

Some specific effects (please let us know what)

Tony

I think we should be able to choose as many pictures we want to edit with the same style instead of one by on. In lightroom I can edit all at once

Postby clara parker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:11 pm

I think we should be able to edit all our pictures at once if we are using the same effect. In lightroom, we are able to do this. Can we make this happen with Smart photo editor?

Postby eadams » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:28 pm

clara parker wrote:I think we should be able to edit all our pictures at once if we are using the same effect. In lightroom, we are able to do this. Can we make this happen with Smart photo editor?

You can apply any effect to an entire folder of images with the Batch functionality. See instructions: http://www.smartphotoeditor.com/tools/batch/

Postby Spuggey » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:26 pm

Scripts would be great. There are so many effects available that it's hard to keep track of them, what you did and in what order. The favourites help, but something that would let you record your steps and then apply exactly the same steps to other images would be brilliant! :shock:

Postby eadams » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:55 am

Spuggey wrote:Scripts would be great. There are so many effects available that it's hard to keep track of them, what you did and in what order. The favourites help, but something that would let you record your steps and then apply exactly the same steps to other images would be brilliant! :shock:

It would be nice to have scripts that would allow one to apply effects in a certain order with pauses to be able to select any areas that are needed for partial effect application.

One thing you can do is save your work as a session. That way, you can open the saved .pe file at a later date and switch out the original image with another one. This works only as long as areas haven't been defined.

Another thing that simplifies applying the same effects to multiple images is to merge the applied effects into a single effect that can be saved under a different name.

Postby Wolverine » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:10 pm

One feature that would be very useful is the ability to save and store Image Treatments settings for a particular photo. That way we don't have to 'reinvent' the wheel every time we edit a photo shot from a similar event or shoot. If I have 10 photos shot under the same lighting conditions, it would be more efficient to edit a group of photos.

Add another vote for a script function. There was a program called PhotoImpact which allowed users to record steps and save them to a quick menu tray. Whenever you wanted to apply the same effect to another photo all it took was a double click on that icon in the tray. I could store dozens of actions/scripts and reorder them in the tray when needed to speed up work on large editing projects.

Postby eadams » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:19 am

Wolverine wrote:One feature that would be very useful is the ability to save and store Image Treatments settings for a particular photo. That way we don't have to 'reinvent' the wheel every time we edit a photo shot from a similar event or shoot. If I have 10 photos shot under the same lighting conditions, it would be more efficient to edit a group of photos.

Add another vote for a script function. There was a program called PhotoImpact which allowed users to record steps and save them to a quick menu tray. Whenever you wanted to apply the same effect to another photo all it took was a double click on that icon in the tray. I could store dozens of actions/scripts and reorder them in the tray when needed to speed up work on large editing projects.

There are various ways helpful for re-using effects on a number of images.

1. Apply any number of effects to an image and perform FILE - SAVE AS SESSION. A file with the extension .pe will be saved. To apply the same effects to another image at a later time, just open the .pe file, right-click on the icon for the original image and switch the image. Re-using effects like this will only work if you haven't made a selection in the original image to apply the effect to.

2. Merge the effects into one effect and save it to your computer. That way you always have it handy.

3. Use the batch functionality to apply the effect to a folder of images. http://www.smartphotoeditor.com/tools/batch/

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests