can anyone tell me how large is a file after saving

Here you can discuss anything related to the Home Panel (the first one you come to)
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

How big is the file after editing compared to what you started with?

Very large almost the same as when I started
No votes
Large minimum loss
No votes
Medium
No votes
Small no good for printing
No votes
Great for printing over 10 x 8
No votes

Total votes : 0

can anyone tell me how large is a file after saving

Postby deb4photos » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:55 am

Just wondering if I can use this program to edit pics and then use them for printing? Is it like so many other programs and only used for the internet?

Site Admin

Re: can anyone tell me how large is a file after saving

Postby admin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:48 am

This software is definitely targeted at creating photos that you can print. If you want the best quality output, I'd recommend saving as a tiff, which doesn't discard any information when saving. However, the printing facilities within the software do not give you much control, so if you want control over printing, then use one of the many free programs out there.

Kind regards

Tony

Postby deb4photos » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:44 am

admin wrote:This software is definitely targeted at creating photos that you can print. If you want the best quality output, I'd recommend saving as a tiff, which doesn't discard any information when saving. However, the printing facilities within the software do not give you much control, so if you want control over printing, then use one of the many free programs out there.

Kind regards

Tony

Thanks Tony, what I really need to know is, will my editing photos be of a quality to print large sizes for commercial use? cheers

Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:52 am

Hi,

The quality of the output depends almost entirely on the quality of your input photo. As long as your photo is of a quality to print large sizes then your output should be. You can always zoom in to double check.

Kind regards

Tony

Postby deb4photos » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:08 am

Hi, after editing photos and saved to about 10mb, I have found that the are not of good quality to print large sizes ( 40 x 50)

My printing company said that they are of poor quality which means that I ave wasted lots of time and have to now re edit in Light Room to have good quality for printing.

Such a shame because I like this program and it's easy to use. Is there another format to save in other than jpg that will give me a larger file so that I can print LARGE canvases and photos?

Postby DennB » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Your problem could be you didn't start with a good quality photo (file size) in the first place and or you saved it in a lower quality format or size. What format are you starting with? RAW, TIF, JPG? and how many MegaPixels is your camera shooting. If you want good quality large prints you will need at least 24MP which will give you a file size of approx. 50MB. Your 10 MB won't get you good quality 40x50 prints!

Postby deb4photos » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:24 am

DennB wrote:Your problem could be you didn't start with a good quality photo (file size) in the first place and or you saved it in a lower quality format or size. What format are you starting with? RAW, TIF, JPG? and how many MegaPixels is your camera shooting. If you want good quality large prints you will need at least 24MP which will give you a file size of approx. 50MB. Your 10 MB won't get you good quality 40x50 prints!

I have had some photos printed that were only 7mb, to 1000mm x 500mm and they were of really good quality.

My photos are RAW RAW and about 10.5 mb.

After editing and saving as jpg they are 10mb and 10.4 mb, I don't understand why they are not enlarging as a good quality print.

Postby Richard Briggs » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:36 am

To add to this discussion....

Some effects created by the community can reduce the 'quality' of a photo. The classic example is replacement sky effects. I have noticed that some of the sky backgrounds are of 'less than high quality' standard so you end up with a lower resolution sky area. For this reason I have taken to using my own sky photographs and using these to replace skies in otherwise good replacemenet sky effects. I suspect other effects of a certain type can also suffer from this. So, moral is examine closely the 'effect of an effect' on the resolution of your image.

Richard

Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:18 am

When using an effect that replaces part of the image or adds texture on top of your image, then the resolution of that new information is down to the effect maker.

However, the most common reason that images are saved at a low quality is that the quality slider for the jpg output is set very low. I'd check that first!

Tony

Return to The Home Panel