Saving/Rendering Quality

If you want to discuss individual effects, post here. Eventually the discussion of effects will be linked to the effects themselves.
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Saving/Rendering Quality

Postby Gold Afternoon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:21 am

I notice that once I use certain effects on a high-resolution image and then save it as an uncompressed .TIF file, the quality is somewhat lost. When I open the saved file in Photoshop, it does not match the file I created in Smart Photo Editor. Image details are lost in certain areas; portions are blurred and mushy looking. Anyone else notice this and is there any setting to change or solution to retain the detail??

Re: Saving/Rendering Quality

Postby Richard Briggs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:39 am

This may help depending upon the effects you have used.

I use SPE to replace skies sometimes. So I have this high resolution 12mb jpeg of some landscape but the sky is a bit lacking. So, I 'Select Area' and then use the various effects available to replace the sky with something that suits.

Afterwards, looking at the jpeg, the photo seems to lack resolution. Closer inspection reveals that the untouched land is fine but the sky is pixellated. Then I realise that the sky image the author* used to create the effect is not the best resolution. My solution is to edit the effect (using the effect editor) to replace the sky image with one of my own that I know is high res.

So, it could be that some effects introduce objects (silhouetted tree, frame, etc) that are not the best quality. The answer is to avoid such effects (or do what I do with sky effects).

Just a thought
Richard

* Remember, most effects are created by the 'Community' (that is 'us' not Anthropics) and, although I believe they are vetted before being made public, this level of vetting is probably and understandably not done.

Postby eadams » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:55 am

Gold Afternoon wrote:I notice that once I use certain effects on a high-resolution image and then save it as an uncompressed .TIF file, the quality is somewhat lost. When I open the saved file in Photoshop, it does not match the file I created in Smart Photo Editor. Image details are lost in certain areas; portions are blurred and mushy looking. Anyone else notice this and is there any setting to change or solution to retain the detail??

I think the explanation provided by Richard Briggs is the most likely explanation, especially since you say the problem occurs only with certain effects.

If you provide the name of such an effect and the size and resolution of one of your images that the problem occurs with, it will be possible to reproduce the issue you are having.

Postby Gold Afternoon » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:37 am

Thank you to both replies above. I wonder if this is a program issue with SPE because I notice a similar thing going on using more than once effect. It isn't in solid areas like sky...it's actually in very detailed areas. They go soft and loose a lot of clarity. Unusable quality, because I want to do high-res prints.

I also am noticing that when I click "save", the rendering progress bar comes up and only goes to about 51%...then stops moving and vanishes.

Is it possible the program isn't saving the file completely?? If so, might this be my computer?? Graphics card? Something else??

Postby eadams » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:23 pm

Since you are having the additional problems, I would recommend that you submit a support request to Anthropics. You have to register for a support account at https://support.anthropics.com/. You will probably need to provide more information about your operating system and program version and provide a sample image you are having problems with and a list of the effects that aren't working. I wish you luck!

Return to Effects