"Image Treatment" and "Blur Background"

If you want to discuss individual effects, post here. Eventually the discussion of effects will be linked to the effects themselves.
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

"Image Treatment" and "Blur Background"

Postby dalo.53 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:44 am

I often use "Area Treatment" to mask a background area to change the exposure. I then add a second step to "Blur Background". This requires that I create two identical background masks.
Is there any way I can create a SINGLE background mask to accomplish both steps? I've attached "Before" and "After" pics to better explain.

David L'Oiseau
dploisea16@gmail.com
Attachments
image_0004.jpg
image_0004.jpg (504.13 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
image_0003.jpg
image_0003.jpg (495.11 KiB) Viewed 4612 times

Re: "Image Treatment" and "Blur Background"

Postby Arwin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:07 pm

Sure you can!
Use the Select Area tool and choose Background, now make your background selection, finish and choose an Brighten effect, see image below

Brighten.jpg
Brighten.jpg (47.82 KiB) Viewed 4605 times

(You can also greate your own effect and drag in a Tone node to use the exposure slider if you wish to use exposure instead of brightness.)

When applied the effect, hover above the effect gallery and a window will pop-up with an selection Background, click on this selection and choose your next effect (blur) you can re-use the mask endless!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tip:
Open your first background effect in the effect editor (rightclick the effect tab and choose Manual Edit)
Edit effect.jpg
Edit effect.jpg (7.28 KiB) Viewed 4605 times

and drag in a Invert Selection node as the image below shows
Invert Selection.jpg
Invert Selection.jpg (121.14 KiB) Viewed 4605 times

You can rename the node to Subject if you wish (you will see all effects that are designed for Subject first in the gallery)

By this you will have a new selection while hovering above the effect gallery, Not Background (or Subject) and you can use this selection to add an effect to the opposite of the background ;)

Succes,
Arwin

Edit:
If you use Area Treatment first, there will be a selection in the pop-up window as described above with a name Area1, I guess this number will increase with every new Area you add with the Area Treatment tool.
So you can still use your own strategy, only you don't have to paint the selection again for the blur, just hover above the effect gallery and choose for Area1 and apply a blur :ugeek:
Check my Instagram if you have time, dedicated to my edits done in Smart Photo Editor!
Feel free to follow ;)

Re: "Image Treatment" and "Blur Background"

Postby *sandeep » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:37 pm

Arwin wrote:Sure you can!
Use the Select Area tool and choose Background, now make your background selection, finish and choose an Brighten effect, see image below

Brighten.jpg

(You can also greate your own effect and drag in a Tone node to use the exposure slider if you wish to use exposure instead of brightness.)

When applied the effect, hover above the effect gallery and a window will pop-up with an selection Background, click on this selection and choose your next effect (blur) you can re-use the mask endless!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tip:
Open your first background effect in the effect editor (rightclick the effect tab and choose Manual Edit)
Edit effect.jpg

and drag in a Invert Selection node as the image below shows
Invert Selection.jpg

You can rename the node to Subject if you wish (you will see all effects that are designed for Subject first in the gallery)

By this you will have a new selection while hovering above the effect gallery, Not Background (or Subject) and you can use this selection to add an effect to the opposite of the background ;)

Succes,
Arwin

Edit:
If you use Area Treatment first, there will be a selection in the pop-up window as described above with a name Area1, I guess this number will increase with every new Area you add with the Area Treatment tool.
So you can still use your own strategy, only you don't have to paint the selection again for the blur, just hover above the effect gallery and choose for Area1 and apply a blur :ugeek:

Return to Effects