SPE vs Photoshop or Elements

Post any questions about the Smart Photo Editor Software here
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

SPE vs Photoshop or Elements

Postby paintedtulip » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:25 am

Multiple questions: okay, it didn't start as multiples...it evolved

I love SPE... it's been mostly intuitive for me to use. Particularly for texture overlays, underlays. I have Elements11, really only experienced staring contests with it.....I never win.....I don't know what it wants me to do and I do not speak geek. Also since SPE was easier to use, I've completely ignored E11...and the 2 books I have on it (shame on me). One day I may conquer the layering there but if I can't figure it out, I feel my chances are slim to none with photoshop without a class, ha! Plus, I'm not real keen on a subscription service. To my actual question: Are there any layering type functions I may not be able to do with SPE, that I could do with the other two? I cannot personally compare based on my current geek level :? So I'm wondering if I need to suck it up and add photoshop subscription...I can still get it for the $9.99 special for now. Do I need it?? Is that like buying a rocket ship when I really just need a train??! lol

One thing I will probably want to do in the not too distant future, is work with typography over photos or textures. I will want to be able to curve it and manipulate it. Any thoughts of those type of functions here? Also, one addition I would love to see added if possible....would be to select a color from the image for the type/font.

One more - I seem to be collecting quite a few png files from texture buys too. Can they be opened in spe? Or could I resave them somewhere as a different file so I could?

Thank you!
Melissa

Site Admin

Re: SPE vs Photoshop or Elements

Postby admin » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:46 am

Hi Melissa,

There's some broad answers to your questions:

SPE isn't a design/painting package, so if you want brushes, vectors, more complex typography etc, it doesn't do that. However, Elements isn't the only other software out there. There's even free software (e.g. http://www.gimp.org/) that does painting, although I think the learning curve is steeper.

Pngs we do support.

As for layers, the composite tool in SPE should be more than enough for your needs, but it all depends on what you want to do. If there's anything specific you want, you can always come here to our forums and ask, and if there's a way in SPE, we can tell you.

Tony

Return to Other Questions About The Software