Now I've had a more serious play .......

Post any questions about the Smart Photo Editor Software here
Forum rules
You are viewing the Community Help Pages. They are on-line forums where people can come to ask questions about the Smart Photo Editor and all the replies and relevant information are kept in the same place.

Now I've had a more serious play .......

Postby canonman5D » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:44 am

Two points I'd like to make.
When I first played with the beta I couldn't see the point, as all the s/w did was reproduce what I could do in a Photoshop / Lightroom combination. Now I've given it some more thought It is a nice way to speedily go through a whole range of effects, and thus review effects you would not necessarily have thought of. I suspect that most pros settle down to a personal style, which although very effective, can tend to close you eyes to alternatives which may be more visually stimulating. Thus it was useful to me to pop a seascape into SPE, select the sea and go through a jumble of effects till I found one which made me say 'Wow'. The next thing I need to do is to understand what changes it made and then try and replicate the effect in PS and then print both out to check for gamut and artefacts. With PS I will be working in 16bit throughout, I'm not sure about PSE.

My second question is to do with the community. I am interested in the rights side of things, and a little alarm bell has rung in my head. I not in one of the fora that you say you may give the s/w away. This is not a way to make money generally speaking. Does this mean that you wish to retain rights over all images manipulated, so they can produce an income stream? (Hence the 'upload you results' bit.) The only othe revenue stream I can think of is as an advertising platform.

Just my two peneth...

Site Admin

Re: Now I've had a more serious play .......

Postby admin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:16 am

I think you've hit the nail on the head. We kind of offer two advantages depending on your existing skills. For some we allow changes that a user might not know how to do, but for others we suggest things that they didn't think of. It's quite difficult getting this message across though!

I'll try and answer your questions, let me know if I've missed any:

Like Portrait Professional, Smart Photo Editor can use 16 bits of a raw image. By default it will work in 8 bits when in the software but then do the whole process again in 16 bits when you save the image, so the version you print/give out etc is the best possible quality. You can make it work in 16 bits always by choosing "Load 16 bit images as 8 bit..." off in the general tab of the settings dialog, but that will slow the software down.

We certainly have no plans to own images that you manipulate in the software! Sometimes we ask people for images to put up on our website as examples, but we always explicitly ask for permision to do that. If we did give the software away for free, it would be with some premium services that users pay for. Currently we are exploring a simple charging for it model like Portrait Professional and likely stick to that.

Tony

Postby canonman5D » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:49 am

Very helpful, thanks.It would be useful to me if choosing an effect also told me in broad terms what changes were contained in the effect, but that is because I'm a CS5 stick-in-ther-mud!

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:52 am

If you can handle expert mode you will be able to see how each effect is made. (You can turn on advanced mode by setting the registry key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Anthropics\PhotoEditor\show_advanced_controls to true. We are currently working on an improved version of the advanced mode). However, most of the more complex effects can't be reproduced in Photoshop partly because Photoshop doesn't use a node based editing system.

Tony

Postby MusicLaw » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:18 pm

admin wrote:If you can handle expert mode you will be able to see how each effect is made. (You can turn on advanced mode by setting the registry key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Anthropics\PhotoEditor\show_advanced_controls to true. We are currently working on an improved version of the advanced mode). However, most of the more complex effects can't be reproduced in Photoshop partly because Photoshop doesn't use a node based editing system.

Tony

In SPE version 1.1.23, is the above the same as simply enabling: File > Settings > General > Advanced Gallery (Brushes, view latest) ?

Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:22 am

1.1.23 Doesn't have any node editing mode available. We are just putting the finishing touches to a completely redesigned mode which will be available in a few weeks.

Postby MusicLaw » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:13 pm

admin wrote:1.1.23 Doesn't have any node editing mode available. We are just putting the finishing touches to a completely redesigned mode which will be available in a few weeks.

Wonderful!

I remain optimistic and entusiastic that what you are readying will be a nice improvement over 1.1.23

Return to Other Questions About The Software