changing size

Want to say something that doesn't fit in the other categories, like suggesting a new forum? Tell us here.

changing size

Postby plbeaulieu » Tue May 09, 2017 9:48 pm

I have worked on a photo and am happy with the results. However, I would like to save it in an 8 x 10" format. I've tried changing the size when saving as a jpg but for whatever reason, the rendered version does NOT resize. I don't want to recrop since I'm happy with the results. How do I get an 8 x 10" format?

Site Admin

Re: changing size

Postby admin » Wed May 10, 2017 10:32 am

When you change the size on saving, it only changes the size of the image you save, not what you see on the screen afterwards.

Hope that helps.

Tony

Re: changing size

Postby eadams » Wed May 10, 2017 5:13 pm

plbeaulieu wrote:I have worked on a photo and am happy with the results. However, I would like to save it in an 8 x 10" format. I've tried changing the size when saving as a jpg but for whatever reason, the rendered version does NOT resize. I don't want to recrop since I'm happy with the results. How do I get an 8 x 10" format?

I wish you gave some more information, e.g. what size your image is and why you need it in an 8" x 10" format. Generally speaking, digital images are made up of pixels. The size in inches only becomes relevant if you want to print the image. I assume you want to print your image in the format 8"x10".

First of all, don't print the image from SPE. The program has advanced editing capabilities but does not specialize in printing, so you can't really configure how your image should be printed. There are several free programs with advanced printing capabilities and that have crop tools that let you crop in the desired aspect ratio.

In order to print an image at a certain size without horizontal or vertical distortion, the aspect ratio of the pixel dimensions of the image has to match the aspect ratio of the size you want to end up with. The aspect ratio of 8" x 10" is 4:5, so your digital image must have pixel dimensions in that aspect ratio (e.g. 2400 x 3000 pixels).

If your image does not have an aspect ratio of 4:5 you must crop it.

In SPE you can designate the pixel size of the image when you save it, but I find that useful mainly to reduce the size of an image to send via email or post on the web.

Return to Anything else