Raw vs. JPG Canon user

Want to say something that doesn't fit in the other categories, like suggesting a new forum? Tell us here.

Raw vs. JPG Canon user

Postby fameme02 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:19 pm

I have a canon 5D mark II - ISSUE 1 - when I import the RAW files to SPE program the picture color totally changes (much darker and not the same), do I need to convert the file to JPG first?, but won't that make it harder to implement the effects. Also when I try to save it actually shuts down in middle of saving and have to restart the system? why is that is the file to large to be saved ...

ISSUE 2 - how do you recommend I save it - at least I need my JPG high quality with file size between 10-15MB to share with a client

please advice

Site Admin

Re: Raw vs. JPG Canon user

Postby admin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:28 am

Hi,

The only situation that RAW files will make a significant difference to your results is when there are large variations of brightness in the scene (like inside shots looking out of a bright window), and you are doing some sort of HDR style processing, so as long as your jpegs are high quality I wouldn't care too much. If in doubt, try both and see for yourself what the differences are. Re: the colours coming out wrong in RAW, I'll pass that issue on to our color profile expert. Re: crashing, I'll send you a private message of what to do next.

Re: Issue2: Try saving out your file at jpg qualities of say 90, 95, 100 and take a look at the difference. It will depend on the picture, and make your own judgement, but for the most part anything over 90 should be fine.

Tony

Re: Raw vs. JPG Canon user

Postby gary » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:04 am

Could you send me a RAW file where the color changes in the SPE program so we can reproduce the problem here? Please send the file to support1234@anthropics.com and mark it for the attention of Gary.

The RAW file is likely to be large so can you use one of the free services such as yousendit.com or dropbox.com to send us the file.

thanks,
Gary

Return to Anything else