Bug with Mac

Any crashes, places where the software didn't work as you expected, please let us know here.
Site Admin

Re: Bug with Mac

Postby admin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:35 am

It is frustrating for us too. We still haven't been able to reproduce the crash on any of our macs probably because it only seems to affect a very small number of computers. All I can do is re-iterate that sending us crash reports is the best way of getting to the bottom of this. Also, we are more than happy to refund your purchase.

Kind regards

Tony

Postby Annie123abc » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:38 am

Thanks Tony,
I enjoy using the software (when I can get it to work)
Frustrating that this glitch isn't happening your end.

Postby ketan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Hello,

I had recently purchased this software and from day one the application has been crashing as everyone has reported. I use latest mac 2017 model with good hardware and do not see any reason why this would happen. I had raised a ticket with their support team but as others have reported the support team simply failed to provide any resolution to the problems. I had shared atleast 15 crash reports with them but still there was no response. They did provide me newer copy of the application which I installed (removed the old copy and cleaned the system before installation) but still same problem. Finaly raised another ticket for refund and in 24 hours received my refund. They were very prompt in that.

My observations -
1. The application crashes 90% of time and works 10% of the time.
2. 95% of the time the reason for crash is when I use preset galleries. If I use other tools apart from gallary then the application is pretty stable but not 100%
3. Tried with all preferences but nothing helps.
4. Closed all other applications before using this app but still no use. The app crashes in plug-in as well as standalone mode.
5. Gallery feature is the culprit in my case for the application crash.

If anyone finds any solution or work around please help.

Regards,
Ketan

Postby ketan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:53 pm

admin wrote:It is frustrating for us too. We still haven't been able to reproduce the crash on any of our macs probably because it only seems to affect a very small number of computers. All I can do is re-iterate that sending us crash reports is the best way of getting to the bottom of this. Also, we are more than happy to refund your purchase.

Kind regards

Tony

The idea is not to get refund but make the application work. I have been using your other applications Portrait Landscape and Full Body all studio editions and have not faced issues. I would recomend you try on macbookpro machines 2016 and 2017 models with same OS versions. Also what I have figured out is gallery is the culprit in the crash as all other features work fine. I will be happy to share as many crash reports as you need to get to the root of the issue.

Regards,
Ketan

Postby Annie123abc » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:56 pm

I am also sending crash reports regularly now. Two just a moment ago

Postby ketan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:58 pm

ketan wrote:
admin wrote:It is frustrating for us too. We still haven't been able to reproduce the crash on any of our macs probably because it only seems to affect a very small number of computers. All I can do is re-iterate that sending us crash reports is the best way of getting to the bottom of this. Also, we are more than happy to refund your purchase.

Kind regards

Tony

The idea is not to get refund but make the application work. I have been using your other applications Portrait Landscape and Full Body all studio editions and have not faced issues. I would recomend you try on macbookpro machines 2016 and 2017 models with same OS versions. Also what I have figured out is gallery is the culprit in the crash as all other features work fine. I will be happy to share as many crash reports as you need to get to the root of the issue.

Regards,
Ketan

Please find the link to screen record showing the application working in one instance and crashing the next instance

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgSooVMIGUXdsHDGKQyGMO9_eMau

Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Dear Ketan

Thanks so much for helping, it's really useful. The video is especially helpful as it means we can see the exact steps you did before the crash. It looks like the crash happens immediately after expanding an effect. Is that the case for everyone?

We've tried again on an almost identical MacBook Pro with as close a setup as we could have to what we've seen here, but still no luck getting it to crash. Is there anything different about your computer's setup that could possibly affect things? It sounds like you've tried running SPE with other software running, but what about changes to the default hardware, like using a pen, or some other peripheral?

Also, it's a bit of a long shot, but if you could run it on the command line (if you know how to do that), there might be some useful output before it crashes that could be helpful.

Tony

Postby ketan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:34 am

admin wrote:Dear Ketan

Thanks so much for helping, it's really useful. The video is especially helpful as it means we can see the exact steps you did before the crash. It looks like the crash happens immediately after expanding an effect. Is that the case for everyone?

We've tried again on an almost identical MacBook Pro with as close a setup as we could have to what we've seen here, but still no luck getting it to crash. Is there anything different about your computer's setup that could possibly affect things? It sounds like you've tried running SPE with other software running, but what about changes to the default hardware, like using a pen, or some other peripheral?

Also, it's a bit of a long shot, but if you could run it on the command line (if you know how to do that), there might be some useful output before it crashes that could be helpful.

Tony

Hi Tony,

The application crashes mostly (98% of the time) when we use gallary preset. It does not matter if we narrow down the gallry (landscape/portraits etc) or use from default set. For me the application has not crashed when using anything else apart from gallary effects. Also there no additional hardware attached to my laptop (Pen, Trackpad etc) which may cause any issue. The application also crashes when used in standalone mode (not through PS) so that rules out any possibility of other application causing the crash. Also the behaviour of the application is random (it works soemtime but only 2% of the time).

Do let me know what command you need me to run through to get the required details. I have uploaded the original image I have used in the video.

Regards,
Ketan

Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:25 am

Dear Ketan et al

Thanks so much for all the crash reports. There is a clear pattern in most of them, but unfortunately the crash is not happening in our code, which is what is making this so difficult to fix. However, I'm working on a new version, that may at least throw some light on what's going on.

To see if anything useful is printed out before it crashes use the following steps:

Run the Terminal application Look for Terminal in Applications → Utilities → Terminal. You can also open Terminal by using spotlight in the right hand top corner.
Locate SmartPhotoEditor in Finder.
Right-click SmartPhotoEditor and select "Show Package Contents."
Locate the executable file. Typically, this is in Contents → MacOS, and has the same name as the application.
Drag that file onto your blank Terminal command line. Hit Enter to launch that program.

It will print a bunch of stuff into the terminal. If it crashes, it might have printed something useful there you could send.

Kind regards

Tony

Postby ketan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:43 am

admin wrote:Dear Ketan et al

Thanks so much for all the crash reports. There is a clear pattern in most of them, but unfortunately the crash is not happening in our code, which is what is making this so difficult to fix. However, I'm working on a new version, that may at least throw some light on what's going on.

To see if anything useful is printed out before it crashes use the following steps:

Run the Terminal application Look for Terminal in Applications → Utilities → Terminal. You can also open Terminal by using spotlight in the right hand top corner.
Locate SmartPhotoEditor in Finder.
Right-click SmartPhotoEditor and select "Show Package Contents."
Locate the executable file. Typically, this is in Contents → MacOS, and has the same name as the application.
Drag that file onto your blank Terminal command line. Hit Enter to launch that program.

It will print a bunch of stuff into the terminal. If it crashes, it might have printed something useful there you could send.

Kind regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

I have uploaded 03 crash reports from terminal window. Hope it helps in getting more info.

Regards,
Ketan

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs