A different printing issue

Any crashes, places where the software didn't work as you expected, please let us know here.
Site Admin

Re: A different printing issue

Postby admin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:35 am

Hi Joe,

I've taken a look and I think I know what's going on, although I'm afraid it's complicated. The reason your picture looks good then looks bad is because when you view it on your screen it just prepares a screen resolution picture because that's much faster than rendering all the pixels in your image, which would take around 8 times longer. However when you save it saves it at full resolution. You can see the problem without saving by zooming in to 1:1 pixels (in the Pan/Zoom menu). The reason the result is much worse at full resolution comes in part down to the large amounts of noise you can see when zoomed in. Those two effects you mention look for edges in your picture which are nice and clear when zoomed out so you can't see the noise, but are all over the place when zoomed in to the size of the noise. You've got a few options: if you saved a lower resolution picture from spe (File > Save, then choose quarter size), then load that smaller picture back in, and apply the "dry brush oils" and the problem goes away. Alternatively you can try playing with the effect settings to see if you can improve the result on the full resolution picture. Try applying the effect: "portrait soften". Then apply dry brush oils. Zoom in to 1:1 so you can see the details then try the following settings on that effect:

Quality:1
Distort:0
Normalize:0.7

Let me know if you can't get a good result.

Tony

Re: A different printing issue

Postby joelorr » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:30 pm

Thanks, Tony. I will give your suggestions a shot as soon as I get a chance and report back!

Warmly,
Joel

Previous

Return to Bugs